Primary 2012

Rheo

@Valin -- haven't seen any interest in the elections around here, everybody complains about O but too darn lazy to check out and see what's going on, they don't want O but don't want any give me programs stopped. and some old people are among the worst

Perfect encapsulation of what I see and hear in my little corner of the world.

@Valin -- haven't seen any interest in the elections around here, everybody complains about O but too darn lazy to check out and see what's going on, they don't want O but don't want any give me programs stopped. and some old people are among the worst

If I maybe allowed to quote a skinny old guy that I am very close to...We've got a job of work to do.

Talking to people, this is where we come into the process. You should be nice and polite (unless they don't want to play nice).

Oy. @Valin it seems to me that if that is the only thing that will win this for us, we are in serious trouble. I have a hard time seeing ANY of these candidates garnering that kind of support.

I'm just presenting...options. evil1.gif

Oy. @Valin it seems to me that if that is the only thing that will win this for us, we are in serious trouble. I have a hard time seeing ANY of these candidates garnering that kind of support.

Are you running? Cause I'll vote for you.

Are you running? Cause I'll vote for you.

You got your first endorsement! Run @Valin run!

@Valin -- with some people you can talk nice until you are blue in the face and get no where. All they can do is whine the Democrates will protect my SS, I keep telling them SS is a Sacred Cow, they will not just uct us off, need definite changes for it though, they just panic,then they start in this is all Bush's fault, ask them what about the last 3 yrs and they just give a blank look even though they hate Obamacare. Only good thing is this state has always been run by Democrates until last state election but normally votes Republican for President. Obama didn't even carry one county in the state.

righteousmomma

Just got home from my Bible Study day and have gotten caught up with this thread. You all have been busy.

After reading I agree with pollya about her views of each. Too bad we can't have a co -presidency-- Romney the economic brains with results/Gingrich the mouth with vision and ideas. Maybe they can form a new kind of marriage - same sex polygamous. Idea would probably be a winner with the liberal libertarians..

I too am not excited about either and know i have not one thing to do with who our nominee will be But unless some miraculous knight comes riding in on the wings of a UFO it appears that it will be Romney..

So it comes down to the only thing I actually know at this point: I am voting against Obama. Period.

some random observations:

Mr. Cleaver was a consistant man of principle who never had a bad word to say about anyone.

Trivia - did you know Leave it to Beaver was told from a child's perspective? Man, I would be afraid to see today's child's perspective of life and parents.

GWB (not that it or he matters now):

We have several friends here who actually met him at various fundraisers here in Raleigh. They LOVED him. Said in person he was a completely different persona than the camera showed. Charming, warm and funny., intelligent. He talked at one fund raiser for an hour solid on any topic thrown out to him and one of our friends said he was simply amazing - knowledgeable, articulate.

Our friends in Dallas who actually know him say the same.

His silence and refusal to defend himself after his total spiritual transformation into an evangelical Christian frustrated me no end. As an evangelical myself I Knew why he refused but made me want to tear my hair out.

righteousmomma

Now Reason #1 as to why the 0 has to go:

CALLER: Obama's got a 48% approval rating. Who are these people? What planet do they live on?

RUSH: That happens to correspond to the number of households that are receiving a government check of some kind.

CALLER: Well, it's just too much to overcome, Rush. I have ten good years left, I can't put up with the aggravation. I talk to these people every day. They give me every reason in the world why they support this clown in the White House.,,,,,

.....RUSH: I know what you mean. I know exactly what you mean. Take any person in this country who's totally absorbed in pop culture. The big thing in their life is watching Entertainment Tonight. They vote. If they vote, we're screwed. You know damn well they haven't the slightest idea what's going on. But that's always been the case. There's nothing new about it, Pete. The number of people who are clueless, uninvolved, no interest whatsoever, they've always had a sizeable percentage of the American population that qualify for that characterization. You're just older than most and you're far more informed than most, and you're saying, "How come other people can't see it?" And you're singing my tune. ....

RUSH: ..... (sigh) It's dire, this health care bill.

And I want to tell you again: If this guy with his 42% approval rating, with his unpopularity issue to issue ....... if this guy gets reelected? Katie, bar the door!

When there's no accountability, when there's not another election to win, it isn't gonna matter. The next four years is where Obama is gonna be totally devoted to fully implementing the agenda he's been trying to hide in large part these three years. It's going to be earth-shattering, and the next four years is when where you wish were happening now is going to happen. The next four years, if he gets reelected, is when people are gonna say, "Oh, my God, what have we done?"

You think it should be happening now. Wait 'til the next four years if he gets reelected. That's when it's going to happen. Because nobody is going to be untouched by this. Everybody is gonna be made poorer. Everybody is going to lose a significant amount of liberty, just in Obamacare alone. Everybody is going to see the elementary basics of life shoot up in price: Food, gasoline, whatever. It's going to skyrocket, and that's when people are going to say, "Oh, my God, what happened?" At a certain point in time in the future, there isn't going to enough money in the hands of other people to tax it and redistribute it. They will be bled dry. The Golden Goose won't exist.

Obamageddon-Barackalypse-Now.jpgIf this guy gets four more years, there's nothing stopping him. The fact that he won't have to get reelected. There won't be any games of extending the Bush tax cuts, for, for example. There won't be any health care waivers. There won't be any delaying the onslaught of the massive increase in the size, reach, and scope of government.

There's a reason Obamacare doesn't fully implement 'til 2014. If it fully implemented by now, no Democrat would be reelected in November. That's why this is important. That's why so many people are pulling their hair out over the Republican primary and demanding -- hoping, praying -- for a genuine conservative. That's why people are willing to overlook some of the baggage, because the people that do get it, Pete, like you, understand what's at stake here.

People that don't yet understand it, 'cause they're too clueless, in a fog, wandering around... I know what you're wondering: How can people get up every day and be happy? How can people get up every day and laugh with what's happening in the country. I know. You turn on your television and you watch a sporting event or you watch a television show, whatever it is, and you wonder: "How come these people don't get it? How can these people not understand what's going on?" You expect there to be, expressed by everybody, an awareness that we are in trouble. And when you don't see it, you scratch your head and ask, "What are these dummkopfs not seeing?" I know exactly how you feel. It's what we're trying to change here.

We're all in the same boat together at the same time.

In 2013, no more nice Obama.

Another thing about the airlines. I left something out that's very important and I shoulda sent it. This is on top of the list in terms of reasons. The unfunded pension plans that they are responsible for, they're talking $10 billion to $50 billion in underfunded pensions, if you look industry-wide. I'll guarantee you... I can't say this conclusively without looking it up and confirming it. But my wild guess would be that of the airlines year-to-year that do well, they're either not union, or a very small percentage of the workforce is union. And the airlines that are in huge, big trouble owe money years and years and years in the future to retired employees who aren't going to be productive. And it's choking 'em. That would be probably at the top of the list, to answer the question.

So it comes down to the only thing I actually know at this point: I am voting against Obama. Period.

Hmmm. So If I'm reading you right @righteousmomma, would that be Mitt for first lady or Newt for first lady? :lol:

Absolutely about President Bush. I used to spend hours watching him interact with people with the sound off. I KNEW he was going to win, simply because of his ability to connect. There are very few leaders I admire. There are even fewer that have taught me things that make my life better on a personal level. GWB is one of them. So he DOES matter to me and will for the rest of my life. Someday, I hope to thank him in person.

righteousmomma

Hmmm. So If I'm reading you right righteousmomma, would that be Mitt for first lady or Newt for first lady? :lol:

Oh that's easy, pollya - think Bill and Hilary/Mitt and Newt.

Oh that's easy, pollya - think Bill and Hilary/Mitt and Newt.

Bwahahaha! Ok now I can confess. As I was typing that, I thought wow, just wait until we're discussing our first "transgendered" president. And then I thought "Of course, we've already had quite a few transgendered first ladies." :lol:

Hmmm. So If I'm reading you right @righteousmomma, would that be Mitt for first lady or Newt for first lady? laugh.png

Absolutely about President Bush. I used to spend hours watching him interact with people with the sound off. I KNEW he was going to win, simply because of his ability to connect. There are very few leaders I admire. There are even fewer that have taught me things that make my life better on a personal level. GWB is one of them. So he DOES matter to me and will for the rest of my life. Someday, I hope to thank him in person.

W comes across as A GUY. By that I mean someone who lives down the block, oh sure his house is a bit nicer, he has a newer car, but he's just a guy. Maybe he's got his own business, maybe he's in middle management, but just a guy.

@Valin -- with some people you can talk nice until you are blue in the face and get no where. All they can do is whine the Democrates will protect my SS, I keep telling them SS is a Sacred Cow, they will not just uct us off, need definite changes for it though, they just panic,then they start in this is all Bush's fault, ask them what about the last 3 yrs and they just give a blank look even though they hate Obamacare. Only good thing is this state has always been run by Democrates until last state election but normally votes Republican for President. Obama didn't even carry one county in the state.

Never said it was easy, or you will convince everyone, and you never know who else is listening.

Ok, say everything you are saying is true...what are your options? shut up, do nothing watch things go to hell in a hand basket. Too many people have done that for too long which is one reason we are here. The other option is fight, fight even thought you may think it's a hopeless cause, fight anyway. Remember what Whittaker Chambers said, when he left the Communist party, he thought he was joining the losing side, but he did it anyway because it was what he believed in.

@Valin, you wondered how people choose their candidates?

I found lots of "how to choose" like

http://www.smartvoter.org/voter/judgecan.html

but this one is more to your question:

http://themoderatevoice.com/12898/why-voters-vote-the-way-they-do/

Why Voters Vote The Way They Do

This is a lot closer to what I was looking for.

The LWV is more like something we got in Civic class in higgh school.

Thanks.

@Valin, you wondered how people choose their candidates?

I found lots of "how to choose" like

http://www.smartvoter.org/voter/judgecan.html

but this one is more to your question:

http://themoderatevoice.com/12898/why-voters-vote-the-way-they-do/

Why Voters Vote The Way They Do

This is a lot closer to what I was looking for.

The LWV is more like something we got in Civic class in higgh school.

Thanks.

I also think a lot of how people choose a candidate has to do not so much with Ideas as with whating to be on the winning side....or what they perceive as the winner, hence the conventional wisdom.

@Valin -- oh I haven't given up, did manage to change two friends to get them to read and think instead of just blindly doing what one's husband and the other's live in tell them to do. One gal spent years telling me how great Clinton was and how much she hated Bush, she's finally dong some reading on her own and changing her mind, she especially doesn't like O and has quit saying everything O screws up is Bush's fault so it's progress. About have her where she is no longer a Hillary fan either.

@Valin -- oh I haven't given up, did manage to change two friends to get them to read and think instead of just blindly doing what one's husband and the other's live in tell them to do. One gal spent years telling me how great Clinton was and how much she hated Bush, she's finally dong some reading on her own and changing her mind, she especially doesn't like O and has quit saying everything O screws up is Bush's fault so it's progress. About have her where she is no longer a Hillary fan either.

Life...Is...Good.

We have us a new candidate!!!!

WASHINGTON (AP) — Roseanne Barr said Thursday she’s running for the Green Party’s presidential nomination – and it’s no joke.

The actress-comedian said in a statement that she’s a longtime supporter of the party and looks forward to working with people who share her values. She said the two major parties aren’t serving the American people.

blink.png

We have us a new candidate!!!!

WASHINGTON (AP) — Roseanne Barr said Thursday she’s running for the Green Party’s presidential nomination – and it’s no joke.

The actress-comedian said in a statement that she’s a longtime supporter of the party and looks forward to working with people who share her values. She said the two major parties aren’t serving the American people.

blink.png

roseanne-barr_5689936.jpg

Bet she doesn't run very far.

We have a Green Party?

Roseanne Barr has values?

Shocking isn't it? I'm pretty sure she is not going to go far. wink.png

I think she pulls this crap every election cycle.