Seattle police chief resigning after council approves cuts to department

Valin

511445-seattle-police-chief-resigning-after-council-approves-cuts-to-department

Rebecca Klar

08/11/20

Seattle Police Chief Carmen Best said she will be resigning after the city council approved cuts to her department's budget on Monday. 

Best said in a letter to the department that her retirement will be effective Sept. 2, The Associated Press reported

“I am confident the department will make it through these difficult times,” Best said in the letter, according to the AP. “You truly are the best police department in the country, and please trust me when I say, the vast majority of people in Seattle support you and appreciate you. ... I look forward to seeing how this department moves forward through the process of re-envisioning public safety. I relish the work that will be done by all of you.”

Best’s announcement comes after the city council approved cuts that would reportedly take less than $4 million from the department's $400 million annual budget. The council also approved a cut in Best’s roughly $285,000 annual salary as well as reductions in other department official’s salaries, according to the news service. 

(Snip)