'Captain America' Actor Launches Bipartisan Website to Inform Citizens

Geee

after-years-of-trumpbashing-actor-chris-evans-launches-bipartisan-news-site-n2572586

In a time of intense political polarization, media bias, and outright "fake news," one man has stepped in to offer clarity and balance: Captain America. 

Actor Chris Evans, best known for his role as Steve Rogers in the Marvel superhero films, has launched A Starting Point, a website dedicated to creating a more informed electorate by cutting through the noise and bridging the gap between Americans and their elected officials. The site features short videos of politicians on both sides of the aisle explaining a host of topics including COVID-19, police reform, abortion, marijuana, healthcare, the Electoral College, and immigration without commentary, editing, or interruption. 

“It was an idea I had in 2017 when I was watching the news and there was something I didn’t understand and I went to Google it and right away I was in the weeds,” Evans said in the website’s promotional video. “There was just this mountain of information to sift through and I thought, ‘What if there was a way that I could get not only concise questions to common answers but get the answers from the elected officials themselves?’”

The result was ASP, which made its debut on Tuesday. The site is made up of three components. Starting Points features an equal number of Republican and Democratic politicians each offering a quick answer to a common question, with links to outside resources for more information. Daily Points offers an open forum for elected officials to post a 60-second video on anything they want, any time they want. Finally, Counterpoints facilitates a connected, focused discussion of a policy issue between two elected officials, one from each party, in a chain of 60-second videos. 

So far, contributors have included Republicans like Sens. Ted Cruz, Tim Scott, Marsha Blackburn, and Rick Scott, Reps. Dan Crenshaw and Debbie Lesko, and South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem. Democrats range from Sens. Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand to Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and California Gov. Gavin Newsom. Several have taken to social media to give positive endorsements of Evans’s efforts:snip: