The L.A. Times Proclaims the Anthem Is Racist, Their Suggested Replacement Will Have you Laughing Out Loud

Geee

the-la-times-proclaims-the-anthem-is-racist-their-suggested-replacement-will-have-you-laughing-out-loud

:snip:But it was the suggestion of what to replace the country’s anthem with that was the best part of the write-up. Did they research and find some alternative soaring song that denotes the national greatness of The United States of America? Nah, this is their suggestion.

But if we must have an anthem, it should be far different than the one we’ve got now, positing another kind of patriotism, an alternative idea of America and Americanness. It would also be neat if it was, you know, a decent song, which a citizen could sing without crashing into an o’er or a thee, or being asked to pole vault across octaves.

In fact, there is such a song. The song is “Lean on Me.”

Yes, Lean On Me is what the writer believes should be our new National Anthem. This is real life. Here’s their reasoning.

It doesn’t march to a martial beat or rise to grand crescendos. The lyrics hold no pastoral images of fruited plains or oceans white with foam, no high-minded invocations of liberty or God. “Lean on Me” is a deeply American song — but it’s not, explicitly at least, a song about America.:snip: