GOP senators propose swapping Columbus Day with Juneteenth as federal holiday

Valin

index.html
CNN

Jamie Ehrlich

July 2, 2020

Washington (CNN)Republican Sens. James Lankford of Oklahoma and Ron Johnson of Wisconsin are proposing to replace the federal observance of Columbus Day with Juneteenth.

Unlike other measures, the new proposal would keep the number of federal holidays the same by eliminating October's Columbus Day.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers in both the House and Senate have backed legislation to create Juneteenth as a federal holiday, both of which have been co-sponsored by members of the Congressional Black Caucus. House legislation by Democratic Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas enjoys a lengthy list of bipartisan co-sponsors.

(Snip)

___________________________________________________________________________________

:thumbup:

Draggingtree
On 7/2/2020 at 6:47 PM, Valin said:
index.html
CNN

Jamie Ehrlich

July 2, 2020

Washington (CNN)Republican Sens. James Lankford of Oklahoma and Ron Johnson of Wisconsin are proposing to replace the federal observance of Columbus Day with Juneteenth.

Unlike other measures, the new proposal would keep the number of federal holidays the same by eliminating October's Columbus Day.

A bipartisan group of lawmakers in both the House and Senate have backed legislation to create Juneteenth as a federal holiday, both of which have been co-sponsored by members of the Congressional Black Caucus. House legislation by Democratic Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas enjoys a lengthy list of bipartisan co-sponsors.

(Snip)

___________________________________________________________________________________

:thumbup:

:wallbash: some one is  / well full of it

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Draggingtree said:

:wallbash: some one is  / well full of it

Why I say I don't trust politicians..even those I like. Politicians as a group are not known for having backbones.

• Like 1