For God’s sake, stop demonizing the NYPD: Cardinal Timothy Dolan

Geee

stop-demonizing-the-nypd-cardinal-dolan

Whenever I go back home to Missouri, family and friends ask me, “What do you like most about New York?” The list is lengthy, I reply. Saint Patrick’s Cathedral is up there, of course, and nothing beats that magical feel of Manhattan around Christmastime. But near the top would be the men and women of the New York Police Department.

I chat with them on their beat. I have a coffee with them in the kitchen of my home behind the cathedral. I celebrate their weddings, baptize their kids and show up at their events. And yes, I visit them in the ICU, and attend their wakes and funerals when they’re wounded or killed in the line of duty, which happens more often than I care to recall.

Much too frequently of late, I have grieved with the family of an officer who took his or her own life.

Our valiant police officers have one of the most perilous, stressful duties around, and from what I have seen in my nearly dozen years here, they do it with care, compassion and competence.

Now we have added to their load with continual, at times exaggerated, rash and inaccurate criticism, combined with rocks, Molotov cocktails and taunts.:snip:

@Geee

Do police forces deserve criticism sometimes? You bet they do. The vicious killing in Minneapolis of George Floyd by a policeman, with his partners idly watching, reminds us in a nauseating way that for some cops, black lives do not matter. The most stinging rebuke of that outrage in Minneapolis that I hear comes from — guess who? The cops I chat with on the sidewalks of New York.

No know why stories like this make big news? They don't happen all that often.

55 minutes ago, Valin said:

@Geee

No know why stories like this make big news? They don't happen all that often.

Fr Dolan was Arch Bishop in Milwaukee for a few years. He is an extremely charismatic and unusual person. Just oozes Joy most of the time.