House passes $3T coronavirus relief -- the most expensive bill in history

Geee

house-passes-3t-coronavirus-relief-the-most-expensive-bill-in-history

The House of Representatives on Friday evening passed a $3 trillion coronavirus relief bill, the most expensive legislation approved by that body in history, that Democrats hailed as the unprecedented response needed to deal with the pandemic and its economic fallout.

The record-breaking bill narrowly passed by a 208-199 vote. Fourteen Democrats defied their party and voted "no," while one Republican, Rep. Pete King of New York, broke with the GOP and voted “yes.”

“I’m thrilled," House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said after the bill's passage. "I'm so proud of my members. They just did something so monumental for the American people -- for their health, for their lives, for their livelihood, and for our democracy. We couldn’t be more thrilled.":snip:

Stimulus checks, state aid and more: What’s in House Democrats' new coronavirus relief bill

House Democrats have put forth their biggest and most expensive coronavirus aid package yet, with a price tag of around $3 trillion, Fox News is told. Here is what’s inside the proposal:

More direct payments 

The package, dubbed the HEROES Act, includes more direct payments beyond the $1,200 check most Americans received under earlier legislation. The new bill offers another $1,200 payment for each family member in a household, up to $6,000.

State and local government aid

The bill allocates about $1 trillion to state, local and tribal governments for “honoring our heroes,” the legislation’s namesake. Democrats have argued that with a loss of tax revenue, states and cities desperately need federal aid to pay health care workers, first responders, police and teachers.

Republicans have argued against bailing out “poorly run” states that have pension deficits and other financial issues that predate coronavirus.