Sessions letter: ‘Dishonorable’ to criticize Trump despite firing, explains ‘recusal’

Valin

sessions-letter-dishonorable-to-criticize-trump-despite-firing-explains-recusal

Paul Bedard

May 12, 2020

In a remarkable pre-election open letter to Alabama, former Attorney General Jeff Sessions defended his decision to recuse himself from the so-called Russia collusion probe that led to his firing, explaining that it was what the “law required me to.”

(Snip)

The full letter:

I was the first to endorse President Trump, even when many thought I was nuts to do so. I helped Trump win and traveled the country with him, embedded in his campaign. I am one of the architects of his agenda, and I was pushing his agenda even before he ran for office.

I have remained faithful to the President and his agenda. I have always stood up for him, and I never backed down, not even for one moment. My convictions are immovable, built on rock, not sand.

As the world knows, the President disagreed with me on recusal, but I did what the law required me to do. I was a central figure in the campaign and was also a subject of and witness in the investigation and could obviously not legally be involved in investigating myself. If I had ignored and broken the law, the Democrats would have used that to severely damage the President.

Some have asked, why take the job as Attorney General if I knew I would have to recuse myself from the investigation? I knew no such thing. I wasn’t informed of Comey’s secret investigation until after I became Attorney General, and the investigation wasn’t publicly confirmed by the FBI until weeks after my recusal.

Knowing of the President’s disagreement with my decision, I tendered my resignation in writing the morning after Robert Mueller was appointed as special counsel. But President Trump chose not to accept it, and he asked me to continue to serve as his Attorney General and to help him “Make America Great Again.”

(Snip)