Alan Dershowitz

Valin

• Valin featured this topic

Warren: Dershowitz presentation 'nonsensical,' 'could not follow it'

Jordain Carney
01/27/20 10:30 PM EST

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), who is running for the Democratic presidential nomination, knocked a presentation by Alan Dershowitz, a member of President Trump's legal team, calling it "nonsensical."

"His characterization of the law simply is unsupported. He is a criminal law professor who stood in the well of the Senate and talked about how law never inquires into intent and that we should not be using the president's intent as part of understanding impeachment," Warren told reporters.

"Criminal law is all about intent. Mens rea is the heart of criminal law. That's the very basis of it. So it makes his whole presentation just nonsensical. I truly could not follow it," Warren, a former Harvard Law School professor, continued.

Dershowitz, who currently teaches at Harvard Law, provided lengthy remarks during the impeachment trial on Monday. He argued that issues such as abuse of power and obstruction of Congress "are outside the range of impeachable offenses."

(Snip)

Warren doesn’t understand the law. My former colleague, Senator Warren, claims she could not follow my carefully laid out presentation that everybody else seemed to understand. This says more about Warren than it does about me. (1 of 2)
12:49 PM · Jan 28, 2020·Twitter Web App

She also willfully mischaracterized what I said, claiming that I spoke about “intent.” I challenge her to find that word anywhere in my presentation. I talked about the difficulty of discerning mixed motives. (2 of 3
12:49 PM · Jan 28, 2020·Twitter Web App

(3 OF 3) If Warren knew anything about criminal law she would understand the distinction between motives – which are not elements of crime—and intent, which is. It’s the responsibility of presidential candidates to have a better understanding of the law.
12:49 PM · Jan 28, 2020

Jan. 30 2020

CNN chief legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin challenges Trump impeachment attorney Alan Dershowitz over his defense of quid pro quo.