Senate's impeachment trial: Wake me when it's over

Geee

479747-senates-impeachment-trial-wake-me-when-its-over

Let me be clear, as we say in Washington, where we are rarely clear: I am not diminishing the importance of the impeachment proceedings. They are historic. They theoretically could result in the removal of the president of the United States. Democrats insist democracy is at stake and it is their duty to act against a corrupt-minded commander in chief. Republicans see the Senate trial as proof positive of political conspiracies to remove a duly-elected president whom Democrats cannot beat at the polls.

I know that the news media are covering this trial with something that resembles great interest. And most U.S. senators are closely watching (because they are required to).

But I have a feeling that’s just about where the close attention ends.

Since I have conducted business outside the Washington beltway in recent days, I have yet to find anybody out there who is watching the proceedings. The first wake-up call was the other day when I saw an acquaintance who typically shows more interest in politics than most of my outside-the-beltway friends. He said to me — these were his exact words — “So I guess the whole impeachment thing just kind of went away?”

After a moment of shock, I broke the news to him that the House had delivered the Articles of Impeachment against President Trump to the Senate and the trial was about to start. His eyes glazed over and he lost interest before I finished the sentence. This is the same man who, a few weeks before, asked me to explain in simple terms what the impeachment was all about and, as I tried to summarize opposing views, the look on his face was screaming, “Never mind.”:snip:

@Geee

And just what makes you think this will be over as long as Donald Trump is alive?

And probably after he's dead...................

Jan. 7 2047

More Proof Has Been Uncovered PROVING Donald Trump was EVIL