Journalism needs Lara Logan

Geee

477605-journalism-needs-lara-logan

Former "60 Minutes" correspondent Lara Logan is making a comeback in broadcast journalism — a comeback that the 48-year-old veteran reporter never should have had to make in the first place.

You probably know Logan's story by now: She was on top of the world as a journalist for the most popular, most influential broadcast news magazine in TV history. Then, in 2011, while on assignment in Cairo's Tahrir Square, she was sexually assaulted while surrounded by a mob of men.

"I have one arm on Ray (her bodyguard),” Logan told CBS News a few months after the attack. "I've lost the fixer, I've lost the drivers. I've lost everybody except him. And I feel them tearing at my clothing. I think my shirt, my sweater, was torn off completely. My shirt was around my neck. I felt the moment that my bra tore. They tore the metal clips of my bra. They tore those open.” She went on to describe being beaten and sexually assaulted by the mob of men, who took photos of her as they tore off her underwear.

After 30 more minutes of this hell, Logan was dragged and eventually dropped into a group of Muslim women, who convinced soldiers to intervene.:snip: