Sundar Pichai becomes CEO of Alphabet and Google, as Larry Page steps down

Valin

larry-page-steps-down-as-ceo-of-alphabet-google-ceo-sundar-pichai-takes-over

The co-founders are out at Alphabet, and one CEO now rules Google and Alphabet.

Ron Amadeo

12/3/2019

Google and Alphabet co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin are no longer executives at Alphabet or Google. The Alphabet CEO and president, respectively, have announced they are leaving their positions. Current Google CEO Sundar Pichai will take over as CEO of both Google and Google's parent company, Alphabet. Page and Brin explained the move on Google's company blog:

With Alphabet now well-established, and Google and the Other Bets operating effectively as independent companies, it's the natural time to simplify our management structure. We've never been ones to hold on to management roles when we think there's a better way to run the company. And Alphabet and Google no longer need two CEOs and a President. Going forward, Sundar will be the CEO of both Google and Alphabet. He will be the executive responsible and accountable for leading Google, and managing Alphabet’s investment in our portfolio of Other Bets. We are deeply committed to Google and Alphabet for the long term and will remain actively involved as Board members, shareholders, and co-founders. In addition, we plan to continue talking with Sundar regularly, especially on topics we're passionate about!

(Snip)

Pichai also gave a statement in the blog post, saying it will be business as usual at Alphabet. "I want to be clear that this transition won't affect the Alphabet structure or the work we do day to day," the new Alphabet CEO writes. "I will continue to be very focused on Google and the deep work we're doing to push the boundaries of computing and build a more helpful Google for everyone. At the same time, I'm excited about Alphabet and its long-term focus on tackling big challenges through technology."