Thoughts from the ammo line

Valin

thoughts-from-the-ammo-line-300.php

Scott Johnson

Nov. 29 2019

Ammo Grrrll serves up a timely MEDITATION ON GRATITUDE, 2019. She writes:

Yesterday, presumably, most of us ate beyond our fill of the traditional Thanksgiving fare. It is my favorite meal of the year. I particularly love stuffing – Heaven on earth! Whoever started the tradition of eating what is basically wet bread has a place in my heart forever. I tart my stuffing up with Cornbread, Hot Turkey Sausage, dried cranberries, chopped apples and pecans. And pile it on the dark meat turkey and bury it in gravy! (Sorry…I need a moment…)

One Thanksgiving, we hosted some nearly starved Jewish immigrants from the Ukraine. Sadly, they had not had the chance to apply for that $80,000 a month job that L’il Hunter snagged by the darnedest luck and his legendary expertise. When asked in the interview what he brought to the table in the way of credentials, he dusted off his nose, winked, and said, “Just BIDEN my time ‘til I can turn into my favorite cowboy, The Loan A-Ranger, if you get my drift.” They got it. They are corrupt, not stupid! His Daddy was so proud he bragged about his super-macho Godfather role in it.

Anyway, we taught our immigrant guests that the American way was to exclaim after the meal “I’m stuffed!” Not, “the gravy was so piquant,” or “the turkey was so moist,” but simply, “I’m stuffed!” Quantity rules the day; quality is merely a nice bonus. Shortly afterwards, the young husband ran into me at the market and said in his excellent but humorous English, “Oh, Shoshanna (my Hebrew name), you were most correct! My co-workers ask how was first Thanksgiving meal in America, and I say what you teach me – I was stuffed! – and they remark, ‘How you know these words?’

When it comes to blessings, we Americans are all “stuffed.” Anyone who says otherwise is a liar by the clock. Let me list just a few things that I am grateful for, in no particular order.

(Snip)