Does Anybody Really Care?

Valin

does-anybody-really-care.php

John Hinderaker

November 26, 2019

One of my daughters sent me this: “Data leak reveals how China ‘brainwashes’ Uighurs in prison camps.” Her question: “Why does literally no one care/talk about this?”

The Chinese government has consistently claimed the camps in the far western Xinjiang region offer voluntary education and training. But official documents, seen by BBC Panorama, show how inmates are locked up, indoctrinated and punished.

About a million people – mostly from the Muslim Uighur community – are thought to have been detained without trial.

(Snip)

The scale and nature of China’s violation of the human rights of Muslims are horrifying. So, to my daughter’s question: why, seemingly, does hardly anyone care?

When we remember the outcry among American liberals against President Trump’s “Muslim travel ban,” which of course was nothing of the sort, but which temporarily prevented a handful of Muslims from entering the supposedly bigoted hellhole of the United States, and contrast it with liberals’ near-absolute silence with regard to grotesque abuses of Muslims by the Chinese government, it is hard to avoid the conclusion that American liberals care about their own power, not about the wellbeing of Muslims. (We see the same phenomenon in other contexts, of course, e.g. the treatment of women.) My only other observation is that, contra Tom Friedman and others who apparently see the Chinese form of government as optimal, I am glad that we have a president who is finally standing up to China’s leaders and working to reduce their power and influence.

Best of the comments................

Peterg123 3 hours ago edited

I don't see much difference between Muslim madrassa brainwashing and Chinese "counter-brainwashing" and that's why I don't care much. How about you?

However, American brainwashing, like of my children in schools and universities, I care a lot about. And you?

More proof that someone can be Conservative and still be Dumber than Dirt