The Stars Came Out for the 1st Cavalry in Vietnam

Valin

stars-entertain-1st-cavalry-vietnam-war

Bill Corsair

November 11, 2019 6:30 AM

I  produced, engineered, and gave voice to the original talking G.I. Joe, for Hasbro. So there was a little irony when, shortly after that, I was called to active duty, in 1968. Stationed at West Point, for special training I was assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division, Forward Headquarters, just outside the Cambodian border.

Compared with other wars, there weren’t as many Hollywood stars and personalities signing up with the USO to entertain the troops in Vietnam. But the sincerity and commitment to the men and women who answered the call more than made up for their fewer numbers.

(Snip)

Ellis was the star of our little group, and my jokes wouldn’t play all that well in “The World,” which I later proved. But the showstopper was watching the expressions on the troopers’ faces when Phil took out his vintage violin and opened with Tchaikovsky’s Violin Concerto. No worries, the “Jessel Syndrome” was in place in spades, when these hardened soldiers, without fail, always broke into applause. Again, shared moments in time never to be forgotten.

A couple of other patriots who never forgot, and whom I was privileged to see again, years later in the states, were Connie Stevens and Sammy Davis Jr. Ms. Stevens was a regular on the Bob Hope visits. She was shooting a scene on the TV movie The Wedding Album. My wife and I were cast in a different scene, and during a break, my wife thanked Connie for the time she spent entertaining the troops, the Cavalry in particular and me. “Thank him, for me, for his service,” she said, and my wife Janis responded, “Why not thank him yourself? He’s right over there.” Kisses, hugs, and an exchange of some memories followed. When the director called Ms. Stevens to the set, she said, “You’ll have to wait, I’m talking to one of my boys.” For another ten minutes, or so, a coterie of technicians, actors, and a chastened director stood by in silence while a TV star proved that she still remembered.

Sammy Davis Jr. — who always had time for the men of the 1st Team and was a guest on the syndicated TV show my wife and I co-hosted in the mid ’70s, Corsair & Co. — showed he hadn’t forgotten by saying: “I remember the faces of those young patriots and how grateful they all were that we took the time to be with them. I could never forget them, and I hope they remember me.” George, Connie, Sammy, and maybe even Bill, Phil, and the staff sergeant who told corny jokes, I’m sure they never forgot, and I promise we’ll never forget them.

God bless us all.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Just a couple of thoughts.
1. Its rapidly becoming a long time ago
Holloway%20promo.jpg?itok=YnXdNbPH

2. CHRIST Were we EVER That Young!