New Border Wall In San Diego Is Helping Drive Border Crossings Down

Geee

new-border-wall-in-san-diego-is-helping-drive-border-crossings-down

Do border walls work? Based on the evidence at the new border wall in San Diego, they do. A year ago, the U.S.-Mexico border near San Diego was an easy spot for caravans to send migrants into the United States. Not so much anymore, according to a report from Fox News. A 14-mile long border wall in San Diego that replaced an old fence is already working wonders.

“It's incredibly different...I’m able to see the old landing mat right next to the bollard and I'm able to see the old mesh right next to the new bollard and the difference is startling,” Douglas Harrison, Chief Patrol Agent of U.S. Border Patrol’s San Diego Sector, told Fox News.

Harrison explained that it’s not a barrier that can be easily scaled: “It’s an intimidating barrier. I'm an old Army guy, I was in the 101st Airborne and I would not try to cross that.”

The project to install 14 miles of replacement barriers began in May 2018 and is now complete. The secondary project began in February this year and it includes two miles of wall that did not exist before, officials say.

It’s part of a project that has, across the whole border, seen 71 miles completed, with an additional 162 currently under construction and an additional 276 miles in the “pre-construction” phase. It’s part of an ambitious plan to get somewhere close to 450-500 miles completed by the end of 2020.

:snip:

• 3 weeks later...