Turkey launches offensive against Kurdish fighters in Syria

Valin

turkey-attacks-syria-kurds-say-strikes-targeting-civilians

LEFTERIS PITARAKIS and BASSEM MROUE Associated Press

Oct. 9 2019

AKCAKALE, Turkey (AP) — Turkey launched airstrikes and fired artillery aimed at crushing Kurdish fighters in northern Syria on Wednesday after U.S. troops pulled back from the area, paving the way for an assault on forces that have long been allied with the United States.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan announced the start of the campaign, which followed an abrupt decision Sunday by U.S. President Donald Trump that American troops would step aside to allow for the operation.

Trump's move, which has drawn harsh bipartisan opposition at home, represented a shift in U.S. policy that essentially abandoned the Syrian Kurdish fighters who have been America's only allies inside Syria in the fight against the Islamic State group.

After Turkey's offensive began, there was sign of panic in the streets of Ras al-Ayn— one of the towns under attack with residential areas close to the borders. Cars raced to safety, although it was not clear if they were leaving the town or heading away from border areas. Near the town of Qamishli, plumes of smoke were seen rising from an area close to the border after activists reported sounds of explosion nearby.

(Snip)

Wow Never Saw This One Coming!

The Latest: Sources: SDF has suspended operations against IS

Oct 9, 2019

BEIRUT (AP) — The Latest developments following President Donald Trump's decision to abandon Syrian Kurdish fighters ahead of an expected Turkish offensive into northeastern Syria (all times local):

8:05 p.m.

A U.S. defense official and a Kurdish official in Syria say the American-backed Syrian militia being attacked by Turkish forces has suspended operations against the Islamic State group.

The militia, known as the Syrian Democratic Forces, has been moving into position to contest the Turkish onslaught, which so far includes airstrikes and artillery barrages.

The officials who confirmed the SDF suspension of operations against the Islamic State were not authorized to provide details on the unfolding situation and so spoke on condition of anonymity.

(Snip)

Right Now There is not really mush we can do against Turkey....Reason

230px-Incirlik_Air_Base_overhead_1987.jp

resized_bbd8a-09f82523resized_d27e299301

Incirlik Air Base Incirlik is home to approximately 1,465 military members. DoD and other civilians combine for a strength of 365 for a total population of 1,830.

Trump Says US Doesn't Endorse Turkey Assault

8:15 p.m.

President Donald Trump says the U.S. does not endorse Turkey's assault on northern Syria and has made it clear to Ankara that it's incursion against Kurdish fighters who helped the U.S. battle the Islamic State is a "bad idea."

In a statement Wednesday, Trump said no American soldiers are in the area being invaded. Earlier, Trump ordered U.S. forces out of the area, prompting criticism that he was abandoning an American ally.

Trump says he does not want the U.S. to fight "these endless, senseless wars."

He says he will hold Turkey to its commitment to protect civilians and religious minorities, including Christians, and ensure the invasion does not create a humanitarian crisis. He also says Turkey must make sure that IS fighters held captive in Syria remain detained.

Blah Blah Blah

Rand Paul on the Kurds: Then and Now

John McCormack

October 9, 2019

Kentucky senator Rand Paul, perhaps the most prominent non-interventionist in Congress, said in 2015 that the United States should defeat ISIS by arming the Kurds and promising the Kurds their own country: “I think they would fight like hell if we promised them a country.”

@RandPaul

I stand with @realDonaldTrump today as he once again fulfills his promises to stop our endless wars and have a true America First foreign policy.

8:15 AM - 7 Oct 2019

Just heard Really Major Super Important News

The United Nations Security Council Is Going to Meet About This Tomorrow!!! :rolleyes:

Turkey launches ground offensive in northern Syria

Oct. 9 2019

Turkey has launched a ground offensive in northern Syria, hours after its warplanes and artillery began hitting territory held by Kurdish-led forces.

Troops had entered the area "east of the Euphrates", Turkish officials said.

President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the operation was to create a "safe zone" cleared of Kurdish militias which will also house Syrian refugees.

Earlier, the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) vowed to resist any Turkish advance.

(Snip)

Meghan McCain clashes with Susan Rice over Obama's Syria legacy: 'How can you criticize' Trump?

Sam Doreman

Oct. 9 2019

"View" co-host Meghan McCain called out former National Security Adviser Susan Rice on Wednesday, suggesting she couldn't criticize President Trump on Syria given what former President Barack Obama did while Rice served in his administration.

"How do you criticize Trump's hands-off approach to the Middle East when President Obama's approach wasn't much better?" McCain asked on "The View."

She pointed to Obama's decision to withdraw from Iraq and his refusal to act after Syria crossed his "red line" of using chemical weapons.

(Snip)

@jamiedupree

Here's the full quote. The President evidently read something today about the Kurds, and that's where the WWII and D-Day stuff came from.

EGduBIEWsAEvZZu.png:large

1:45 PM - 9 Oct 2019

Article in question

Critics Aghast As Trump Keeps Word About No More Wars

Kurt Schlichter

Oct 08, 2019 10:01 AM

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They didn't help us with Normandy...As My mother often said.."What does that have to do with the price of tea in china?

@JenGriffinFNC

I just spoke to a distraught US Special Forces soldier who is among the 1000 or so US troops in Syria tonight who is serving alongside the SDF Kurdish forces. It was one of the hardest phone calls I have ever taken. "I am ashamed for the first time in my career."

3:02 PM - 9 Oct 2019
This veteran US Special forces soldier has trained indigenous forces on multiple continents. He is on the frontlines tonight and said they are witnessing Turkish atrocities. "Turkey is not doing what it agreed to. It's horrible," this military source on the ground told me.

"We met every single security agreement. The Kurds met every single agreement. There was NO threat to the Turks - NONE - from this side of the border." "This is insanity," the concerned US service member told me. ""I don't know what they call atrocities but they are happening."

This American soldier told me the Kurds have not left their positions guarding the ISIS prisoners. In fact "they prevented a prison break last night without us." "They are not abandoning our side (yet)." The Kurds are "pleading for our support." We are doing "nothing."

Troops on the ground in Syria and their commanders were "surprised" by the decision Sunday night. Of the President's decision: "He doesn't understand the problem. He doesn't understand the repercussions of this. Erdogan is an Islamist, not a level headed actor.

Acc to this US soldier on the ground tonight in Syria: "The Kurds are as close to Western thinking in the Middle East as anyone. "It's a shame. It's horrible." "This is not helping the ISIS fight." Re: ISIS prisoners: "Many of them will be free in the coming days and weeks."

This US Special Forces soldier wanted me to know: "The Kurds are sticking by us. No other partner I have ever dealt with would stand by us." Disappointed in the decisions coming from their senior leaders.

Israel strongly condemns the Turkish invasion of the Kurdish areas in Syria and warns against the ethnic cleansing of the Kurds by Turkey and its proxies.
Israel is prepared to extend humanitarian assistance to the gallant Kurdish people.

And people wonder why I stand with Israel... heard many countries say “they condemn” but not a single one said they will extend assistance to #Kurds https://twitter.com/netanyahu/status/1182268451269857281 
11:18 AM - 10 Oct 2019

H/T The Daily Wire

U.S. Poised to Sanction Turkey as Syria Incursion Escalates

Jennifer Jacobs and Saleha Mohsin

October 14, 2019, 11:28 AM CDT

The U.S. is poised to impose sanctions on Turkey as soon as Monday in response to the nation’s advance into Syria, according to people familiar with the matter, days after President Donald Trump cleared the way for Turkey to launch its offensive by pulling American forces from the area.

The initial round of penalties would most likely be aimed at a wide range of individuals and was prepared for Trump’s approval, according to one of the people. The departments of State, Defense and Treasury worked over the weekend to draft the terms, the people said.

The Trump administration is leaving open the option of penalties aimed at military transactions, arms exports and energy shipments to the Turkish military, two people said. All of the people spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitivity of the matter.

(Snip)

And what about the Americans stationed
230px-Incirlik_Air_Base_overhead_1987.jp
Here?

@realDonaldTrump

Some people want the United States to protect the 7,000 mile away Border of Syria, presided over by Bashar al-Assad, our enemy. At the same time, Syria and whoever they chose to help, wants naturally to protect the Kurds....

12:16 PM - 14 Oct 2019
@realDonaldTrump

....and Assad to protect the land of our enemy? Anyone who wants to assist Syria in protecting the Kurds is good with me, whether it is Russia, China, or Napoleon Bonaparte. I hope they all do great, we are 7,000 miles away!

12:10 PM - 14 Oct 2019
@realDonaldTrump

After defeating 100% of the ISIS Caliphate, I largely moved our troops out of Syria. Let Syria and Assad protect the Kurds and fight Turkey for their own land. I said to my Generals, why should we be fighting for Syria....

12:10 PM - 14 Oct 2019
@realDonaldTrump

....Don't the Europeans have a lot of responsibility?” @KatiePavlich Thank you Katie, I offered ISIS prisoners to the European countries from where they came, and was rejected on numerous occasions. They probably figured that the U.S. would bear the tremendous cost as always!

12:06 PM - 14 Oct 2019