Rep. Barbara Lee Calls for Climate Education in All Schools

Valin

rep-barbara-lee-calls-climate-education-all-schools

“We need to teach every young person the human impacts of climate change and how to combat the climate crisis before it is too late.”

Bill Bigelow

Sept. 20 2019

In May of 2016, the school board in Portland, Oregon, passed what is believed to be the first comprehensive climate education resolution in the country. It called for climate justice curriculum, increased professional development, support for student activism, and for the school district to abandon the use of text materials that deny the human roots of the climate crisis or minimize its effects.

This climate education work gets a big boost today from Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) who is remembered for her courageous stand as the only member of Congress to vote against the authorization of the use of force in the wake of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Today, commemorating what promises to be the largest climate strike ever, Lee's office says she will officially introduce a House Resolution to support the teaching of climate change in schools throughout the United States.

Like Portland’s school board resolution, this is not only a call for more “climate literacy.” Lee’s resolution also emphasizes that the climate crisis is a social crisis. In introducing the resolution, she said, “We need to teach every young person the human impacts of climate change and how to combat the climate crisis before it is too late.”  

(Snip)

.........Turns out you're wrong.

H/T DU  Home page of the Left Wing Nutters.

Student Activist At "Global Climate Crisis" Hearing: Why Study When The World Is Ending? What's The Point?

Tim Hains
September 18, 2019

Greta Thunberg, the Swedish teenager who this month crossed the Atlantic in a sailboat to protest climate change, joined American climate activists Wednesday at a House Foreign Affairs Committee hearing titled: "Voices Leading the Next Generation on the Global Climate Crisis."

"I don't want you to listen to me, I want you to listen to the scientists," Greta told members of the Energy and the Environment Subcommittee. "And I want you to unite behind the science and I want you to take real action."

Jamie Margolin, a high school senior who sued her home state of Washington for its role in causing climate change, said: "I don’t think a lot of people in Congress understand the conversations that are happening every day in American high schools."

(Snip)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oh But Wait....There's More from the genius that is Jamie Margolin.

You might want a LARGE tumbler of whisky at hand....Cause This IS Gonna Hurt.