Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Geee

Fake Meat Is Just Part of the Movement Toward Artificial Everything

3 posts in this topic

fake-meat-just-part-movement-toward-artificial-everything

The next time you go to the restaurant and order a steak, don't be surprised if the waiter who serves it is wearing a laboratory smock and a medical mask – and lecturing you about your environmental responsibilities.

When I first heard about the development of artificial meat, I knew there was something sinister about the idea, even though I couldn't articulate exactly what it was. And the more I think about it, the more sinister it seems.

They call it "cultured beef," cultured in the sense of the cultures grown in a petri dish – not actual human culture – which, if you think about it, is not very appetizing.

As a recent opinion piece in the New York Times put it: 

The first 'cultured beef' burgers are likely to enter the market next year, at approximately $50 each. But that won’t last long. Within a decade they will probably be more affordable than even the cheapest barbecue staples of today — all for a product that uses fewer resources, produces negligible greenhouse gases and, remarkably, requires no animals to die.:snip:

Those Plant-Based “Burgers” Aren’t Better For You, So Why Are You Eating Them?

The title question is being asked by Kate Bernot at The Takeout, and it’s a good one. Before anyone starts imagining a totally meatless future (speaking of horror shows), we should figure out why so many people are flocking to plant-based “meat” like the Impossible Whopper and its cousins. Since experts are quickly concluding that these products are no healthier for you (or for the environment) than their traditional animal-based counterparts, what’s the attraction making these offerings sustainable?:snip:

Problem with ‘plant’ burgers

The latest food fad is coming to America's hospitals and schools. Last month, Aramark and Sodexo, the two largest providers of food in the nation, signed deals with Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods, two of the fastest growing plant-based protein companies. The deals would seem to make it official that these new meat substitutes are a healthier alternative to the real thing.:snip: