Did We Learn the Lesson of 9/11?

Geee

did-we-learn-the-lesson-of-911-n2552869

It's now been nearly a full generation since Sept. 11, 2001. There are people currently serving in the U.S. military who weren't born when that act of evil took place -- and the military still has thousands of troops in Afghanistan, the home base of the Taliban-supported al Qaida attack on the United States that took nearly 3,000 American lives.

With time comes forgetfulness. The same period of time has now elapsed since Sept. 11 that elapsed between the end of World War I (1918) and the German re-occupation of the Rhineland in contravention of the Treaty of Versailles (1936). Believing that World War I had ended all war, the Allied powers did nothing. That same year, Germany concluded its Axis alliance with Italy, as well as its Anti-Comintern Pact with Japan. Less than three years later, the world would be at war.

Forgetfulness is easy, because immediate costs are painful and steep. American foreign policy nearly always vacillates between two poles: isolationism and reactive interventionism. The American people (correctly) don't like the consequences of isolationism -- increased attacks on America and her allies, maximization of influence by our enemies -- but we also dislike (correctly) the consequences of maintaining a global military presence. It was easy to tear into the Clinton administration's weakness on defense in the aftermath of the Cold War, but there was almost no political cost in it for Clinton at the time. The sepia glow of media coverage regarding Barack Obama hasn't been darkened by his single-minded quest to minimize American influence around the world.:snip:

But every so often, we're reminded that the world is filled with enemies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geee said:
did-we-learn-the-lesson-of-911-n2552869

It's now been nearly a full generation since Sept. 11, 2001. There are people currently serving in the U.S. military who weren't born when that act of evil took place -- and the military still has thousands of troops in Afghanistan, the home base of the Taliban-supported al Qaida attack on the United States that took nearly 3,000 American lives.

With time comes forgetfulness. The same period of time has now elapsed since Sept. 11 that elapsed between the end of World War I (1918) and the German re-occupation of the Rhineland in contravention of the Treaty of Versailles (1936). Believing that World War I had ended all war, the Allied powers did nothing. That same year, Germany concluded its Axis alliance with Italy, as well as its Anti-Comintern Pact with Japan. Less than three years later, the world would be at war.

Forgetfulness is easy, because immediate costs are painful and steep. American foreign policy nearly always vacillates between two poles: isolationism and reactive interventionism. The American people (correctly) don't like the consequences of isolationism -- increased attacks on America and her allies, maximization of influence by our enemies -- but we also dislike (correctly) the consequences of maintaining a global military presence. It was easy to tear into the Clinton administration's weakness on defense in the aftermath of the Cold War, but there was almost no political cost in it for Clinton at the time. The sepia glow of media coverage regarding Barack Obama hasn't been darkened by his single-minded quest to minimize American influence around the world.:snip:

But every so often, we're reminded that the world is filled with enemies.

from a You Tube discussion

Steven Wiederholt 16 hours ago

"Progressives have a lot of good ideas." Name 3.

Xander Arena 14 hours ago

Stopping wasteful wars, free healthcare (like everyone in Israel has, who receives 3.8B in aid despite the fact they have a 10B surplus and no debt), and ending super delegates.

Nic Lastname 5 hours ago

Lowering military spending.

Investing in our infrastructures.

Getting money out of politics.

It's not hard to find good ideas from your opposition, when you're intellectually honest... just because I can name good positions they have, doesn't mean those are exclusive to progressives nor does it mean I agree with their other positions.

Steven Wiederholt 16 minutes ago

@Nic Lastname "Lowering military spending."

Yes because the world has become a peaceful place suddenly Si vis bellum para pacem

some people Refuse to learn from history.....actually I doubt they've ever even read a history book...outside of 1 class in high school

1 hour ago, Valin said:

some people Refuse to learn from history.....actually I doubt they've ever even read a history book...outside of 1 class in high school

Or the fake history that they are now teaching in our schools. 

• Like 1