The Myth That Our Planet Faces an Overpopulation Crisis

Geee

the-myth-that-the-world-is-facing-a-population-crisis

Shortly after my wife graduated from college, she joined Zero Population Growth. Looking back, she tells me it was an emotional reaction fueled by reading Paul Ehrlich’s apocalyptic claims. In his book, The Population Bomb, Ehrlich wrote: “The battle to feed all of humanity is over. In the 1970s hundreds of millions of people will starve to death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now.”

Ehrlich’s book, despite being spectacularly wrong, influenced millions. Zero Population Growth has morphed into the Population Connection. Ehrlich is unrepentant and still claims the collapse of civilization is a “near certainty” in the not too distant future.

Bernie Sanders recently vowed to support "educating everyone on the need to curb population growth" as a response to climate change.

Ehrlich is not the only voice proclaiming the end is near. The UK’s “Optimum Population Trust (OPT) believes Earth may not be able to support more than half its present numbers before the end of the century,” The Telegraphsummarized. The OPT movement has attracted followers such as David Attenborough.

In the US, Bernie Sanders recently vowed to support "empowering women and educating everyone on the need to curb population growth" as a response to climate change.:snip:

8 hours ago, Geee said:
the-myth-that-the-world-is-facing-a-population-crisis

Shortly after my wife graduated from college, she joined Zero Population Growth. Looking back, she tells me it was an emotional reaction fueled by reading Paul Ehrlich’s apocalyptic claims. In his book, The Population Bomb, Ehrlich wrote: “The battle to feed all of humanity is over. In the 1970s hundreds of millions of people will starve to death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now.”

1. I bought into it. In my defense I was young and was doing large quantities of drugs. Not a good combination for clear thinking.

2. I still see people making these claims.