I Was a Lifelong Democrat, Now I Don't Recognize the Party

Geee

What has changed in the last 10 years — and especially in the last two years — that people cannot be civil and respectful to one another? Can we no longer have civil debates and in the end agree to disagree and shake hands? Are the internet and social media to blame? Haters gonna hate?

I was an early adopter of social media and I have never understood why so many people feel emboldened to be extremely rude, insulting and threatening toward others. Many people hide behind fake names and pictures online but even those who identify themselves somehow feel that the internet is not real life so they let it fly. I have always been completely myself online and wouldn’t tweet something at someone that I wouldn’t say to them in person.

I have never been a fan of political correctness but I have always been a fan of civility and being respectful of individuals whose opinions differ from mine. We can argue but we don’t have to let it get out of hand or let it get personal. All of us have times in our lives where if we can’t say something nice or respectful then we shouldn’t say anything.:snip: