Abolish the Dept. of Homeland Security? Yes, Please.

Draggingtree

Draggingtree
abolish-dept-homeland-security-yes-please

Abolish the Dept. of Homeland Security? Yes, Please.

07/12/2019 Ryan McMaken

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has suggested eliminating the Department of Homeland Security.

Her motivation seems to be reducing federal immigration enforcement powers, although it doesn't necessarily follow that abolishing the DHS would actually accomplish this.

Nevertheless, the DHS is just yet an other cabinet level agency pushed to facilitate even more government spending, and has never been necessary. Its abolition would be a step in the right direction.

The thing about raising government agencies to cabinet-level status is that the move makes it easier for the bureaucrats in charge of the agencies to politically agitate for more government spending in their favor, and to push bigger government in general. It's no coincidence that as the US government has grown ever larger and more intrusive, so has the number of cabinet-level agencies. So now, we have the EPA, the SBA, and the departments of HUD, Energy, and Education all provided with more direct access to the president and the media. Everything they do is deemed "essential." Everything they do, we're told, is a matter of national importance.  :snip:   :wub:

@Draggingtree

Yes There are Long Standing problems with DHS, as can be said of Everything we do. However I must ask the question Replace it with what? I ask this because, I did see a solution, All I was was complaints.

1. What Do You Want?

2. How Do You Get It?

3. Then What Happens?

"And, few would miss the Transportation Security Administration" until the Next Mass Terrorist attack.

3 hours ago, Valin said:

@Draggingtree

Yes There are Long Standing problems with DHS, as can be said of Everything we do. However I must ask the question Replace it with what? I ask this because, I did see a solution, All I was was complaints.

1. What Do You Want?

2. How Do You Get It?

3. Then What Happens?

"And, few would miss the Transportation Security Administration" until the Next Mass Terrorist attack.

After 9/11 the people who were fighting against creating another 'Department" had an alternate solution, but my dwindling brain can't remember what department they wanted to put it under.  I think I remember GW also did not want DHS.

23 minutes ago, Geee said:

After 9/11 the people who were fighting against creating another 'Department" had an alternate solution, but my dwindling brain can't remember what department they wanted to put it under.  I think I remember GW also did not want DHS.

1. I remember, and to a certain extent agreed. 2. Actually I believe he did, maybe not what we got. Remember the Main reason why it was established. CIA,FBI,NSA, State Dept. were not talking to each other. If I may paraphrase George W Bush..."This Will Not Happen Again!!", and it hasn't, at least not on the scale of 9-11.

• Like 1