Michigan congressman Justin Amash leaves the GOP

Valin

michigan-congressman-justin-amash-leaves-the-gop

Mike Brest

July 04, 2019

Michigan congressman Justin Amash announced his exit from the Republican Party in an op-ed he published Thursday in the Washington Post.

In the piece, titled "Our politics is in a partisan death spiral. That's why I'm leaving the GOP," Amash, 39, says his mother and father, both immigrants to America, raised him as a Republican. But he quotes George Washington's farewell address, in which he warned of the dangers of political parties.

"Today, I am declaring my independence and leaving the Republican Party," he wrote. "No matter your circumstance, I'm asking you to join me in rejecting the partisan loyalties and rhetoric that divide and dehumanize us. I'm asking you to believe that we can do better than this two-party system — and to work toward it."

Windows-Is-Attempting-To-Give-a-Damn-Gif

Justin Amash leaves the GOP before it can “leave” him

Paul Mirengoff

July 7, 2019

Rep. Justin Amash has always been a party of one. Now, he’s made it official. He’s leaving the GOP and is running for reelection as an independent.

Why? He claims it’s because the two-party system and hyper-partisanship have wrecked Congress. He finds that individual members of Congress have no say in things. They are simply there to obey their party leader.

But none of this is new. What’s new is that Amash is hopelessly behind in the GOP primary in his district.

A poll taken at the end of the month found that he had only 17 percent support — dreadful for an incumbent — and was trailing his leading rival by 10 points. A poll from earlier in June had him 16 points behind.

(Snip)