Burgess Owens on Reparations: 'How About the Democratic Party Pay for All the Misery It Brought to My Race?'

Geee

owens-on-reparations-how-about-the-democratic-party-pay-for-all-the-misery-it-brought-to-my-race

WASHINGTON -- Burgess Owens, an author and former NFL Player who was a witness at a congressional subcommittee hearing on reparations, suggested that the Democratic Party should pay "restitution" for the "misery" it brought to his race in the past.

Burgess was referring to members of the Democratic Party who supported slavery in the Civil War era and voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Burgess, who opposes reparations, explained that he was a registered Democrat until he learned more about its history.

“I used to be a Democrat until I did my history and found out the misery that that party brought to my race," Burgess said at a House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights, and Civil Liberties hearing on Wednesday focused on H.R. 40, the Commission to Study and Develop Reparation Proposals for African-Americans Act. "Lets point to the party that was part of slavery, KKK, Jim Crow, that has killed over 40 percent of our black babies, 20 million of them.":snip:

• Like 1