What Did 19th Century Black Americans Think About Confederate Monuments?

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

What Did 19th Century Black Americans Think About Confederate Monuments?

By Philip Leigh on May 31, 2019

One argument used by those wanting to remove Confederate statues is that contemporary blacks had little chance to oppose them when they were erected.  Aside from anecdotal evidence that blacks joined white crowds to observe the dedication ceremonies, one example in Mississippi provides undeniable evidence of explicit high-level black support. In 1890 the Mississippi legislature voted on a bill to appropriate $10,000 for a Confederate monument. The vote in the lower chamber was 57-to-41 in favor. All six black representatives voted “yea.” One, John F. Harris, made a supporting speech excerpted below prior to the vote:

Mr. Speaker! I have risen here in my place to offer a few words on the bill…I was sorry to hear the speech of the young gentleman from Marshall County. I am sorry that any son of a soldier should go on record as opposed to the erection of a monument in honor of the brave dead. :snip: https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/blog/what-did-19th-century-black-americans-think-about-confederate-monuments/

• 2 months later...
Guest Lenagich

heys guys,i was in bal a few weeks back and sitting on a pallet were these two big radial like engines,im wondering what aircraft did they belong too?