Tennessee House speaker to resign over text scandal after 'no confidence' vote

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
tennessee-house-speaker-resigns-text

A prominent Tennessee lawmaker has agreed to step down amid controversy involving texts between him and a former aide, which prompted a vote of "no confidence" from his own party.

Republican state House Speaker Glen Casada made the announcement on Tuesday, after ex-chief of staff Cade Cothren stepped down over allegations of sending racist and sexist messages to him three years ago. Casada admitted to responding to two of those messages, according to WKRN.

GROUP WANTS TENNESSEE DA TO RESIGN OVER ANTI-ISLAM POST

"I participated in some 'locker room talk' if you will, amongst two adult men. I’m not proud of that. I’m embarrassed about that,” Casada said in a radio interview.

Casada was also accused of trying to interfere with a related ethics report, but he denied this.

The House Republican Caucus passed a "no confidence" resolution with a 45-24 vote on Monday. Initially, Casada did not appear swayed by this.

"I’m disappointed in the results of today’s caucus vote," Casada said. "However, I will work the next few months to regain the confidence of my colleagues so we can continue to build on the historic conservative accomplishments of this legislative session."

________

Unfortunately it seems as if his "colleagues" don't want him around anymore...

According to screenshots of the posts, Northcott wrote in a Facebook comment that the Islam belief system is "evil, violent and against God's truth" and that being Muslim is no different than "being part of the KKK, Aryan Nation, etc." Northcott made the comments while responding to a Republican candidate's post in late April.

Waaaay Over The Top. Although many at TOS will see him as a hero.