The Booming Jobs Market Mystifies the Press, When They Notice It At All

Geee

the-booming-jobs-market-mystifies-the-press-when-they-notice-it-at-all

‘These are prosperous times in America.”

If that sounds like pro-Trump propaganda, that’s because it’s rarely uttered by anyone who isn’t already a supporter of the current president.

But that’s how National Public Radio, to its credit, began a story about the incredible jobs boom underway right now in a segment called “America Is In Full Employment, So Why Aren’t We Celebrating?”

“Why doesn’t today’s full employment come with effervescence?” reporters Pallavi Gogoi and Scott Horsley ask.

But while the reporters do a good job of describing the widespread benefits of the current economy, they also manage, in asking that question, to expose the extreme bias at work among the overwhelming majority of their colleagues in the press.

“Unemployment has reached a nearly 50-year low. The jobless rate for Hispanics has never been lower; the past two years have been the best job market ever for African Americans. Wages are starting to rise — and, more significantly, for the lowest-paid workers. That may not endure, but it’s a reversal of the long-term trend where the most highly paid workers were also the best rewarded. The job market today is so hot that groups that were sort of on the margins also are finding opportunities — including people with disabilities or a prison record.”

Did you get all that? Wages are rising for the lowest-paid workers. Minority groups have never had it so good. People at the margins are getting pulled back into the labor market.:snip:

I am seeing things I haven't seen since the 90's boom. Signs saying 12-18 dollars an hour to start.....recruitment letters from the Post Office.

25 minutes ago, Valin said:

I am seeing things I haven't seen since the 90's boom. Signs saying 12-18 dollars an hour to start.....recruitment letters from the Post Office.

That's completely unfair - if there are other people who are not winners:P

• Like 1