There Is No ‘CliffsNotes’ Mueller Report

Geee

mueller-report-too-long-for-cliff-notes-nation

If it weren’t for impatience, there would have never been a market for microwave ovens, keyless entry systems, or Egg McMuffins. But while love of brevity may drive speed and efficiency in the economy, it can and does also promote ignorance, and even injustice.

Imagine what those living behind the Iron Curtain would have said about Americans complaining of not wanting to bother slogging through the 448 pages of special counsel Robert Mueller’s report on interference in the 2016 presidential election. Russians under communism would have crashed the Internet had the three lengthy volumes of Solzhenitsyn’s Gulag Archipelago been available online during the Cold War. And they wouldn’t have asked for someone to tell them in the time it takes to finish the morning coffee what the pivotal literary work “really means.”

The availability of the full Mueller report to the public, minus grand jury materials — a release not required since the independent counsel statute was allowed to expire in reaction to Bill Clinton’s impeachment — is a reminder of how free we are in the United States of America. Yes, we could be freer, but do we even deserve the liberties we enjoy when Associated Press reporters find citizens complainingthat Mueller’s nearly-two-years-in-the-making, $25 million-plus written findings are “legalese” — oh, and where can I find the “CliffsNotes version”?

It hearkens back to James Joyce’s supposed reply to the friend who complained how difficult Ulysses was to read: “It took me seven years to write it. It should take you seven years to read it.”

Experts To Tell You What To Think

Pennsylvania health counselor Melissa Garcia, a 29-year-old independent who voted for Hillary Clinton, told the AP she wants Mueller “to sum it up because he knows it the best. I’d want the shorthand version but the most important details.”:snip: