Conservatives secure majority on Wisconsin's Supreme Court

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
conservatives-secure-majority-on-wisconsins-supreme-court

A conservative has won a seat on Wisconsin's Supreme Court on Wednesday when his opponent conceded defeat, guaranteeing a conservative majority for years to come.

What's the story?

Thanks to Judge Brian Hagedorn's victory, conservatives will now have a 5-2 majority on Wisconsin's Supreme Court.

"Judge Hagedorn said that he was running to get partisan influences out of our courts," liberal judge Lisa Neubauer said in a statementconceding defeat. "[A]nd I hope he lives up to his promise." 

Hagedorn won his election by 6,000 votes. This is a close enough margin to justify a recount, but Neubauer has decided not to pursue this option. Neubauer will remain on the Court of Appeals.

"I am deeply humbled and grateful that the people of Wisconsin have placed their trust in me," Hagedorn said in an email to supporters, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. "I said that partisan politics has no place at the Wisconsin Supreme Court, that I would protect the public, and that our job is to uphold the Constitution as written. I meant every word, and I will endeavor to fulfill these promises with all my ability."

He will replace Justice Shirley Abrahamson, who was a liberal.

_______

Right turn.