Donald Trump Vetoes Attempt to Block National Emergency

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
donald-trump-vetoes-attempt-to-block-national-emergency

President Donald Trump vetoed a bill designed to block his emergency declaration at the Southern Border on Friday, in a ceremony at the White House.

“Today, I am vetoing this resolution,” Trump said. “Congress has the freedom to pass this resolution and I have the duty to veto it. And I’m very proud to veto it.”

The president defied Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Congressional Democrats, and the “dirty dozen” Senate Republicans who joined them by signing his veto in a public ceremony at the White House.

He described the Congressional attempt to stop him as a “dangerous” and “reckless” resolution that was “a vote against reality.”

Trump said that over a million illegal aliens were set to rush the Southern border, including a 2000 percent increase of migrants from Central America trying to claim asylum.

“The vast majority are rejected, but smuggling operations making a tremendous amount of money, like they’ve never made before, are using these people to crash the system,” Trump said. “Our immigration system is stretched beyond the breaking point.”
He also noted that despite record numbers of apprehensions at the border, there was not enough space to detain them all.

“There’s absolutely nothing we can do. We’re bursting at the seams, you can only hold so much,” he said. “The only option then is to release them, and you can’t do that either because when you release them they come into our society and in many cases, they are stone cold criminals.”

Trump noted 59 different national emergency previous declarations by past presidents that were frequently used to assist foreign countries.

“That’s why I say, America First, if that’s ok, America First,” he said. “The only emergency Congress voted to revoke was the one to protect our own country so think of that. … This is the one that they don’t want to do and this is the one perhaps they should most do.”

________

The veto pen is mightier than the political sword.