Thoughts from the ammo line

Valin

thoughts-from-the-ammo-line-251.php

Scott Johnson

Dec. 14 2018

In the interest of humor Ammo Grrrll identifies THE WORST SONG EVER WRITTEN. She writes:

It is time for another of my patented Break From Politics columns. Scott has graced us with beautiful and interesting musical offerings and commentary for many years, in an effort to preserve his – and our – sanity. Today, however, we will be talking about a very, very stupid song. And not even a recent one.

Everyone has a contender for the worst song ever written. Dave Barry used to ask for nominations in his periodic columns asking for readers’ most hated songs. In 1992, the song I will discuss today “won” a Dave Barry reader poll for “Worst Lyrics” and “Worst Song of All Time.”

Wow! It’s a very high bar for worst song in my opinion, when you include everything from “Lollipop” to “Red Solo Cup” (which I like and Mr. AG hates, loathes, and detests. I can literally make him leave the house with it! Which comes in handy) and anything at all in rap.

I do not HATE the song we are about to discuss. It is catchy, musically complex, and reasonably pleasant as long as you don’t actually listen to it. Because when you listen to the words, you realize that it is mind-numbingly stupid. Nevertheless, it sold millions of copies and has been covered by dozens, if not hundreds, of artists, including Richard Harris, Donna Summer and Waylon Jennings. Which goes to show you what I know. Mr. AG and I didn’t think Madonna’s coffee table book called Sex would sell either. Haha! We are a couple with our fingers on the pulse of the popular culture! Not.

Anyway, I won’t keep you in suspense any longer.......(Snip)

• Like 1

It's almost midnight.  I should have been in bed asleep long ago but I am catching up with emails, etc.,, and then I read this and here I am at my desk in the laundry room dying laughing.  She is so right -- the song is pleasant enough to listen to as long as you don't pay attention to the words.  Like Ammo Grrrll I, too, am cursed with an addiction to Logic, and this song just doesn't make any sense at all, but she sure makes it funny.

7 hours ago, nickydog said:

It's almost midnight.  I should have been in bed asleep long ago but I am catching up with emails, etc.,, and then I read this and here I am at my desk in the laundry room dying laughing.  She is so right -- the song is pleasant enough to listen to as long as you don't pay attention to the words.  Like Ammo Grrrll I, too, am cursed with an addiction to Logic, and this song just doesn't make any sense at all, but she sure makes it funny.

I recall reading that DJ's loved it because it was so long.