Former President George H.W. Bush dead at 94

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel
story?id=44866630

George Herbert Walker Bush, the 41st president of the United States, has died at age 94.

His death was announced by his family Friday night on Twitter. The president's health had been in decline in recent months.

"George Herbert Walker Bush, World War II naval aviator, Texas oil pioneer, and 41st President of the United States of America, died on November 30, 2018. He was 94 and is survived by his five children and their spouses, 17 grandchildren, eight great grandchildren, and two siblings," the former president's office said in a statement. "He was preceded in death by his wife of 73 years, Barbara; his second child Pauline "Robin" Bush; and his brothers Prescott and William or "Bucky" Bush."

His son George W. Bush, who served as the country's 43rd president, released a statement of his own from the family.

"Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Doro, and I are saddened to announce that after 94 remarkable years, our dear Dad has died," George W. Bush said. "George H. W. Bush was a man of the highest character and the best dad a son or daughter could ask for. The entire Bush family is deeply grateful for 41’s life and love, for the compassion of those who have cared and prayed for Dad, and for the condolences of our friends and fellow citizens."

________

RIP Mr. President.

I did not agree with everything he did - but isn't it that way with every president. That said, whether you agreed with his policies or not, he was a good man of integrity.

59 minutes ago, Geee said:

I did not agree with everything he did - but isn't it that way with every president. That said, whether you agreed with his policies or not, he was a good man of integrity.

You will always find people (left & right) who will and are criticizing him to those I say... TRY and show a little class, for at least one day. If you don't like it, you don't have to do it again.

He and Barbara are now reunited, in a much better place!

• Like 1

George H.W. Bush, RIP

Scott Johnson

Dec. 1 2018

President George H.W. Bush died yesterday evening at the age of 94. He led an almost impossibly full life, capped by his election to the presidency as Ronald Reagan’s successor in 1988. A good man and a good president, he was perhaps more than anything else a great American of the old-fashioned variety that is passing from the scene.

I took my family to hear him speak at the annual dinner of the Minnesota Family Council within two or three years of his departure from office. He was warm. He was funny. He was engaging. He talked about his upbringing, about his flight training at the age of 18 during World War II in Minneapolis, about the friends he made here, about his career in public service. He recalled his mother (Dorothy Walker Bush) and her telephoned scoldings whenever she found him to be bragging or glorifying himself as president. (Mrs. Bush died in 1992, in the final year of his presidency.)

He exposed a personal side that he mostly guarded in public. I thought it would have been to his advantage to show more of it.

The New York Times obituary with accompanying video and photo exhibit is by Adam Nagourney. I have embedded the video below.

(Snip)

58 combat missions, Distinguished Flying Cross, three Air Medals, and the Presidential Unit Citation. Greatest generation, indeed. 

RIP, Mr. President. 

• Like 1

George H.W. Bush to lie in state in US Capitol; Trump to attend funeral

Former President George H.W. Bush will lie in state in the U.S. Capitol Rotunda next week, congressional leaders announced Saturday -- a move that has become customary to honor the passing of former presidents.:snip:

:snip:

Congressional leaders announced that an arrival ceremony will be held for Bush on Monday at 5 p.m. ET. The public will then be invited to pay their respects from 7:30 p.m. until 7:00 a.m. Wednesday. The statement said that the Bush family will provide additional details regarding arrangements beyond the ceremony at the Capitol.

When someone lies in state in the Capitol Rotunda, the casket is placed in the center of the room on the catafalque, the wooden platform used for President Lincoln’s funeral in 1865. The casket is draped with an American flag and an honor guard stands vigil around the clock. The Rotunda is usually permitted to file past the casket after formal and family ceremonies.:snip:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bush-expected-to-lie-in-state-in-us-capitol-in-line-with-tradition-trump-to-attend-funeral

• Like 1

Bush hailed for principles as lawmakers pay respects

The late George H.W. Bush on Monday evening made his final journey to the U.S. Capitol, where he launched a long and distinguished political career more than a half century ago that culminated in winning the White House in 1988.

Vice President Mike Pence, bipartisan congressional leaders, Supreme Court justices and Cabinet secretaries past and present packed the Capitol Rotunda as a flag-draped casket carrying the 41st president arrived for a ceremony that begins three days of mourning in Washington.

Bush died Friday at his home in Houston at age 94, just seven months after the death of his wife, Barbara Bush.

Congressional leaders hailed the former president on Monday for his heroics as a young aviator during World War II and his presidential accomplishments. But it was Bush’s devotion to family, combined with his civil approach to governing across decades of public service, that was remembered most prominently.:snip: