Fried Green Tomato Burgers That'll Make Any Southerner Swoon

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Fried Green Tomato Burgers That'll Make Any Southerner Swoon

By Clint Cantwell

Put a little south in your mouth with our delicious fried green tomato burgers with comeback sauce.

At the beginning of each tomato season, I find myself anxiously awaiting the (literal) fruits of my gardening labor. Firm and green, these tomatoes aren’t the traditional juicy, red orbs. Here in the south, however, they are transformed into one of my favorite side dishes: fried green tomatoes.

Put a little south in your mouth thanks to this burger recipe featuring fried green tomatoes and comeback sauce.

Makes. 2 servings

Takes. 15 minutes prep, 1 hour total cook time.

Serve with. Pale ale

Ingredients

Comeback Sauce

1/2 cup mayonnaise

3 tablespoons jarred chili sauce such as that offered by Heinz

2 tablespoons ketchup

1/2 tablespoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon hot sauce such as Louisiana or Crystal

1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon ground mustard

1/2 teaspoon paprika

Fried Green Tomatoes

1 cup flour

2 teaspoons Morton’s kosher salt  (read more about the science of salt here)

3 eggs

2 cups panko breadcrumbs

2 large green tomatoes

Canola oil

The Burger

1 pound ground chuck

1 teaspoon Morton’s kosher salt (read more about the science of salt here)

2 hamburger buns

Method

1) Prep. To make the comeback sauce, combine the mayonnaise, chili sauce, ketchup, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, and paprika in a small bowl and blend well. Cover and refrigerate the sauce until ready to use.

2) For the fried green tomatoes, cut each tomato into 1/4-inch slices. Combine the flour and salt in a shallow bowl and stir to combine. Beat the eggs in a second shallow bowl and add the panko breadcrumbs to a third shallow bowl.

3) Cook. Add 1-inch of canola oil to a skillet then place over medium-high heat.

4) Dredge the green tomato slices in the flour, then the beaten egg, and finally in the panko breadcrumbs. Working in small batches, fry the coated green tomato slices, flipping once until golden brown, approximately 2 minutes per side. Remove the fried green tomatoes from the oil and place them on paper towels to drain.

5) Prep again. Divide the meat into two 8-ounce portions. Gently form the meat into patties that are approximately 1/2-inch wider than the bun to allow for shrinkage during the cooking process. Season both sides of the patties with kosher salt.

6) Fire up. :snip: 

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/hamburger-sloppy-joe-salisbury-steak-recipes/fried-green-tomato-burger-comeback-sauce