Rand Paul Voices Opposition to Pompeo and Haspel Nominations

Valin

The Kentucky senator vowed to 'do everything I can to block them.'

Jenna Lifhits

Mar 14, 2018

Kentucky senator Rand Paul said he would oppose the president’s picks for secretary of state and CIA director, criticizing one over what he described as support for regime change and both for their links to torture.

Trump announced in a tweet Tuesday that he would be nominating current CIA director Mike Pompeo to be his secretary of state, and current deputy CIA director Gina Haspel to replace Pompeo.

“I’m going to do everything I can to block them,” Paul told reporters. The Kentucky senator sits on the Foreign Relations Committee, which would consider Pompeo’s nomination before it goes to the full Senate for a vote. He was the only GOP senator to vote against Pompeo in January 2017 for CIA director.

Paul said Pompeo is unfit

“Somebody that’s advocating for regime change doesn’t really sound like somebody you’d want to have as your chief diplomat,” he said. “The replacement of Tillerson with Pompeo will be the replacement of someone who is advocating diplomacy with someone who is advocating regime change.”

Paul said he was “perplexed” by the nomination, which he said contradicts the “lesson of the Iraq war” as well as the president’s own opposition to that war.

to be the chief diplomat because of what he described as his support for regime change.

(Snip)

Draggingtree
15 minutes ago, Valin said:

The Kentucky senator vowed to 'do everything I can to block them.'

Jenna Lifhits

Mar 14, 2018

Kentucky senator Rand Paul said he would oppose the president’s picks for secretary of state and CIA director, criticizing one over what he described as support for regime change and both for their links to torture.

Trump announced in a tweet Tuesday that he would be nominating current CIA director Mike Pompeo to be his secretary of state, and current deputy CIA director Gina Haspel to replace Pompeo.

“I’m going to do everything I can to block them,” Paul told reporters. The Kentucky senator sits on the Foreign Relations Committee, which would consider Pompeo’s nomination before it goes to the full Senate for a vote. He was the only GOP senator to vote against Pompeo in January 2017 for CIA director.

Paul said Pompeo is unfit

“Somebody that’s advocating for regime change doesn’t really sound like somebody you’d want to have as your chief diplomat,” he said. “The replacement of Tillerson with Pompeo will be the replacement of someone who is advocating diplomacy with someone who is advocating regime change.”

Paul said he was “perplexed” by the nomination, which he said contradicts the “lesson of the Iraq war” as well as the president’s own opposition to that war.

to be the chief diplomat because of what he described as his support for regime change.

(Snip)

Paul no is nothing new 

Draggingtree

This is exactly why I have a problem with Rand.

A joke attributed to Lincoln How Many Legs Does A Dog Have If You Count The Tail As A Leg?...4 A Tail Is Not A Leg.

These guys were not I repeat Not Tortured...no matter how many times it is said.

• 2 weeks later...