Tom Cotton to Democrats on DACA: Take it or Leave it

Draggingtree

tom-cotton-to-democrats-on-daca-take-it-or-leave-it-gAQ7N525V0yUxX_3jDgxdA

Tom Cotton to Democrats on DACA: Take it or Leave it

By Erick Erickson

1.8 million is the final number for DACA, not the starting offer.

Senator Tom Cotton is doubling down on a point he made directly to me two weeks ago. He says the President's DACA plan is a take it or leave it plan. When I asked two weeks ago if this was an opening bid or all or nothing, Cotton reached out to me and said it was all or nothing. The President has no plans to exceed the 1.8 million DACA eligible people in the citizenship pool.

This morning, as the Senate heads towards an immigration plan, Cotton is reiterating what he told me.  :snip: 

Democrats Holding to 'Limits of Compromise' on DACA Talks, Says Senator

BY BRIDGET JOHNSON FEBRUARY 13, 2018

With the March 5 deadline for Congress to save DREAMers looming, Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) declared that "the limits of compromise are there" on what Dems will give up for the Deferred Action for the Childhood Arrivals program "because, basically, we're talking about fundamental core American values."

President Trump tweeted this morning: "Negotiations on DACA have begun. Republicans want to make a deal and Democrats say they want to make a deal. Wouldn’t it be great if we could finally, after so many years, solve the DACA puzzle. This will be our last chance, there will never be another opportunity! March 5th."

Trump told reporters at the White House on Monday that "speaking for the Republican Party, we would love to do DACA."

"We would love to get it done. We want border security and the other elements that you know about. Chain migration, you know about. The visa lottery, you know about," he said. "But we think there's a good chance of getting DACA done if the Democrats are serious and they actually want to do it.   :snip: 

Chuck Schumer No Longer Interested In A Broad Immigration Reform Bill

JAZZ SHAWPosted at 10:41 am on February 13, 2018

Just yesterday I observed that Mitch McConnell seemed to be throwing Chuck Schumer all the rope he could ask for on a comprehensive immigration reform package and inviting the Democrats to go hang themselves with it. Based on comments the Senate Minority Leader made from the Senate floor, I’m beginning to suspect that he’s caught on to the scheme and is now scrambling to avoid digging himself a hole he can’t get out of.

While Schumer had previously been talking about various elements of some sort of grand bargain, offering indications as to which pieces he might support or oppose, his tone has suddenly changed. Claiming that this is “neither the time nor the place” for something more comprehensive and permanent, it now sounds as if the Democrats are back to talking about only a “clean fix” for DACA to cover the Dreamers. (Time)     :snip:   https://hotair.com/archives/2018/02/13/chuck-schumer-no-longer-interested-broad-immigration-reform-bill/