'Can My Children Be Friends With White People?'

Valin

can-children-friends-white-people

Michael Walsh

November 12, 2017

Before the liberal revolution is over, we'll be back to segregating the sexes -- in the name of "safety" -- and the races -- in the name of "empowerment." Behold this op-ed in the New York Timesone of the saddest things published since the heyday of the civil-rights movement:

My oldest son, wrestling with a 4-year-old’s happy struggles, is trying to clarify how many people can be his best friend. “My best friends are you and Mama and my brother and …” But even a child’s joy is not immune to this ominous political period. This summer’s images of violence in Charlottesville, Va., prompted an array of questions. “Some people hate others because they are different,” I offer, lamely. A childish but distinct panic enters his voice. “But I’m not different.”

It is impossible to convey the mixture of heartbreak and fear I feel for him. Donald Trump’s election has made it clear that I will teach my boys the lesson generations old, one that I for the most part nearly escaped. I will teach them to be cautious, I will teach them suspicion, and I will teach them distrust. Much sooner than I thought I would, I will have to discuss with my boys whether they can truly be friends with white people.

Would a four-year-old child, left to his own devices, really say such a thing, were it not put in his mouth by a parent? But that's nothing compared with the author's conclusion:

(Snip)

Did the political transition from Obama to Trump really mark a watershed in race relations, and give the lie to the best efforts of presidents from Lincoln and Grant onward to Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon to grapple with our nation's most intractable issue -- an issue so great we fought the bloodiest war in our history to resolve it politically? Is #resist really the best we can do? And if it is, what does that say about us?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

H/T Ed Driscoll