Words Have Meaning – Sometimes

Valin

?p=63726

Mitch Berg

July 10 2017

Joe Doakes from Como Park emails:

Liberals tell us that words have meaning.  We cannot say the N word because the mere act of saying it gives the word power and that power warps our thinking to make us bad people.  In fact, thinking it is probably enough.

What happens when a word loses its power?

I was running errands over the weekend and realized it was the first day of Sunday liquor so I stopped at MGM in Roseville to buy a celebratory single can of beer.  A dozen people were picketing.  “Treat Everyone Equal.”  “MGM is Racist.”  One picketer offered me a sheet of paper on my way into the store.  I declined.

Inside the store, the store manager explained they had to check someone’s bag yesterday and that person felt it was racially motivated, hence the picket today.

I was born when Eisenhower was in office.  There was actual racism in the country at that time – segregated drinking fountains, riding the back of the bus, Martin Luther King going to jail.  That America disappeared 49 years ago.  The young people holding the signs today have never lived in a racist America.

(Snip)

• Like 1

:thumbup:

I am old enough to remember separate bathrooms, drinking fountains, a Negro day at the zoo. Thing is there are also Blacks that led protests at that time that are still here and claiming everything to be racist. Doesn't John Lewis remember 'real' racism also??

34 minutes ago, Geee said:

:thumbup:

I am old enough to remember separate bathrooms, drinking fountains, a Negro day at the zoo. Thing is there are also Blacks that led protests at that time that are still here and claiming everything to be racist. Doesn't John Lewis remember 'real' racism also??

Me too! If he didn't play the race card he might lose power.

• Like 1