Piety and Trump-bashing: The sheer awfulness of the White House Correspondents' dinner

Geee

In the hour before the White House Correspondents' Association dinner began at what used to be called the "Hinckley Hilton" in Washington, I asked attendees — journalists, politicians, opinion-makers, advertising & PR types — what they expected of an evening without the president.
"Happier than I've been in 20 years," said one veteran, who happens to be a faithful Democrat.
"Why?"
"Because Hollywood isn't here. Much nicer without Hollywood."
Indeed, unlike many other years, it was possible to walk around freely without encountering scrums of people and camera crews, cheek-by-jowl, jamming hallways as they struggled to get a look at, say, Jenna Dewan or Kendall Jenner.
A businessman — an outside-the-Beltway ad man who serviced Washington-based publications — was unhappy for the same reason the veteran was happy. He wanted to see celebrities. "But I did see Woodward and Bernstein," he told me, brightening a bit.
A few minutes later, a filmmaker fretted about Hasan Minhaj, the Comedy Central performer who was to be the night's entertainment. Minhaj, referred to widely as a "Muslim comedian," was expected to slam Trump on not just Muslim issues but everything else. "I'm worried he's going to be mean-spirited, just go after everyone," the filmmaker said.:snip:

• 5 months later...

10/20/2017

Filed under: General — JVW @ 2:19 pm

[guest post by JVW]

Up until now I have adhered to a policy of not blogging about President Donald J. Trump. In fact, I believe this is only the second time I have typed out his name (I have been willing to use it when pasting in a blockquote), with the other time being somewhat by accident. We know that he is a lightening rod for fierce argument here, as he is throughout our entire country and, indeed, planet. I did not vote for him (I voted for Evan McMullin which I have frankly come to regret), though I have family and friends who either gladly voted for him or who held their noses and pulled the lever for Trump, and I have family and friends who absolutely loathe the man and want him out of the White House post haste. So, with all that out of the way, I am going to cautiously dip my toe into the pool.

Kevin Williamson at National Review Online is one of the conservative media’s best known and most emphatic Never Trumpers. As such, I realize that many on the right have disdain for him. I confess that I greatly admire his writing, which I think stylistically is always engaging, mordantly witty, and consistently forceful and direct. As an opinion columnist he has, well, opinions and he is not shy about sharing and vigorously defending them. Even when I don’t agree with him or I think he is trying to stretch a single into a triple, I respect him as a virtuoso in his craft.  :snip: 

The manners of the white underclass are Trump’s — vulgar, aggressive, boastful, selfish, promiscuous, consumerist.  :snip: 

http://patterico.com/2017/10/20/kevin-williamson-on-the-perils-of-celebrating-the-white-underclass/