Tamales

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Tamales

WORKING FROM HUSK TILL DAWN.

DECEMBER 2016 by COURTNEY BOND

It took me a while to shuck off my fear of making tamales. In my four years of Vittling, I’ve tackled a lot of foods Texans love to eat (if not necessarily cook), from corn dogs and barbecued crabs to gumbo and mole poblano. And I’ve done almost all of it in my tiny “two butt” kitchen, as my grandmother Elsie would have called it (which in this case is generous, because technically it holds only mine and that of my always-underfoot dog). But I’ve long been intimidated by the tremendous effort required to prepare those husky hunks of goodie-filled masa.

Turns out there was a reason for that, the same reason that tamales are typically a special-occasion food, served during celebrations and holidays, and the same reason they’re often assembled amid the convivial chaos of an all-hands-on-deck tamalada: they’re exhausting. After at least a dozen hours of chile-prepping, husk-cleaning, meat-shredding, and dough-spreading, not to mention the resulting mountain of dirty dishes, a porcine sheen on every surface, and masa in every nook and cranny beyond reach of the dog, I had myself a measly twenty tamales. Which were so fluffy, fragrant, and delicious I’ve decided to make them again—in a year or so, in someone else’s kitchen.

Makes 12 to 20, depending on size

1 package dried corn husks Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/pork-tamales-recipe/

• 3 weeks later...
clearvision

@Draggingtree  We are trying to resurrect the recipe database.  If you go to community and then recipes you will see the database. 

Pick a category and then add recipe.  If you have a pix put it in.  Then put in your description including images and videos if you want.

It will automatically make a post here in cooking when you save it, but is more organized there.

• Like 1