Grilled Chicken Wings with Shishito Peppers

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Grilled Chicken Wings with Shishito Peppers

Ingredients: Vinaigrette

Note: You can make the vinaigrette up to 1 week ahead. Just cover and chill, and shake/mix well before using.

· 1 large shallot, finely chopped

· 1 cup fresh lime juice

· Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper

· ½ cup toasted sesame oil

· ½ cup vegetable oil

· ¼ cup soy sauce

· 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup

Ingredients: Chicken

Note: You’ll be marinating the chicken in the vinaigrette for at least an hour or two. Plan accordingly.

· 3 lbs chicken wings, flats, and drumettes, whatevs.

· Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper

· A handful (1½ cups?) shishito peppers

· 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

· 1 red jalapeño or Fresno chile, thinly sliced

· 1½ cups fresh herbs (I used thai basil, cilantro, and a touch of orange zest. Note that thai basil is not the same as sweet basil, but you could use that too.)

The Nitty Gritty: Vinaigrette

1. Combine shallot and lime juice in a large jar or medium bowl; season with salt and pepper and let sit 10 minutes.

2. Add sesame oil, vegetable oil, soy sauce, and honey to shallot mixture; cover and shake (or whisk) to combine. Season sesame-lime vinaigrette with salt and pepper.

The Nitty Gritty: Chicken

1. Spice up the chicken wings with your salt and black pepper, place in a large resealable plastic bag, and add 1 cup of vinaigrette. Seal the bag and turn to coat; chill for at least 2 hours and up to a day. I like to do steps like these the night before I plan to cook and just leave whatever meat marinating overnight.

2. Prepare a grill for medium heat. Grill chicken, turning occasionally, until wings are evenly charred and cooked through, 8–10 minutes if separated, 12–15 minutes if left whole. Transfer to a platter.

3. Meanwhile, toss the shishito peppers and oil in a medium bowl and season with salt and black pepper.

4. Grill the peppers, turning occasionally, until charred in spots and blistered, about 3 minutes. Transfer to platter with wings.

5. Scatter your sliced jalapeño and herbs over wings and shishito peppers.

6. Drizzle with ¼ cup vinaigrette and serve.

Holy whoa, those peppers were amazing. You can serve this up as-is, alongside a salad or veggie stir fry, or with a plan ol’ bowl of white rice. Also, that vinaigrette is money. Keep the recipe and use it on everything. (You’ll thank me later.)