salt and fresh-ground black pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 large egg
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
steak seasoning, to taste (optional; we like Saltgrass 7 Steak Spice)
vegetable shortening, for frying
1 1/2 to 2 pounds top round, tenderized by your butcher (or you, if you have the energy), cut into 4 equal portions about 1/4 inch thick

Place flour in a shallow dish and season with salt and pepper. In another dish, whisk together the buttermilk, the egg, and the remaining dry ingredients. If desired, sprinkle the steaks with a little bit of steak seasoning, then dredge them in the flour. Dip each steak into the buttermilk mixture, then once again into the flour, completely coating the steaks.

In a deep cast-iron skillet over medium heat, heat the shortening to about 340 degrees. There should be enough shortening (2 to 4 inches) to almost cover the steaks and allow them to float. Fry the steaks, gently turning every so often, until golden brown, about 6 to 7 minutes (don’t crowd the skillet; you can fry in batches, just be sure to bring your shortening back up to temperature). Drain on a wire rack and keep warm in a low oven while you whip up some cream gravy. Serve immediately—they lose their luster rather quickly Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.texasmonthly.com/story/classic-chicken-fried-steak-recipe

A legandary chicken fried steak of my past... has passed.

Fort Worth Star Telegram

Massey's, a Fort Worth icon, serves its last chicken-fried steak

Massey's, a Fort Worth culinary landmark since 1947, has served its last chicken-fried steak years after barmaids resembling novelist Dan Jenkins' fictionalized "Juanita" had stopped tossing Lone Star longnecks to thirsty customers.

At dinnertime Tuesday, a steady stream of customers approached the locked door and tried to shake it open.

It closed Feb. 6, and "I put it on the market on Monday," said Diane Massey, who had leased out the Eighth Avenue restaurant in 1997 after she and her husband, Charles Herbert Massey Jr., closed it the year before. "My tenant left in a kind of a hurry."

Her father-in-law, Charles "Herb" Massey Sr., opened the namesake eatery in what had been an early drive-in with curb service called Herman Jones, which became Denny Harmon's, according to Jenkins.

Massey Sr. launched his venture after breaking with his business partner and twin brother, Hubert, in a Jacksboro Highway cafe, Diane Massey said.

In 1978, the Texas House of Representatives passed a resolution declaring Massey's signature dish to be the "greatest chicken-fried steak served in Cowtown" and, simply, a "classic Texas meal."

Scissors-32x32.png

785.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Draggingtree

A legandary chicken fried steak of my past... has passed.

Fort Worth Star Telegram

Massey's, a Fort Worth icon, serves its last chicken-fried steak

Massey's, a Fort Worth culinary landmark since 1947, has served its last chicken-fried steak years after barmaids resembling novelist Dan Jenkins' fictionalized "Juanita" had stopped tossing Lone Star longnecks to thirsty customers.

At dinnertime Tuesday, a steady stream of customers approached the locked door and tried to shake it open.

It closed Feb. 6, and "I put it on the market on Monday," said Diane Massey, who had leased out the Eighth Avenue restaurant in 1997 after she and her husband, Charles Herbert Massey Jr., closed it the year before. "My tenant left in a kind of a hurry."

Her father-in-law, Charles "Herb" Massey Sr., opened the namesake eatery in what had been an early drive-in with curb service called Herman Jones, which became Denny Harmon's, according to Jenkins.

Massey Sr. launched his venture after breaking with his business partner and twin brother, Hubert, in a Jacksboro Highway cafe, Diane Massey said.

In 1978, the Texas House of Representatives passed a resolution declaring Massey's signature dish to be the "greatest chicken-fried steak served in Cowtown" and, simply, a "classic Texas meal."

Scissors-32x32.png

785.jpg

These days, a good one is rarer than hen’s teeth—but a whole lot tastier.

These days, a good one is rarer than hen’s teeth—but a whole lot tastier.

@Draggingtree

Especially when you get outside of Texas... Most times if you were to try ordering a "Chicken Fried Steak"... you'd get a "Say what?" blink.png

• Like 1