Texas man, dog die after being trapped in Corvette

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

Texas man, dog die after being trapped in Corvette

Angel San Juan, KBMT10:07 a.m. CDT June 10, 2015

Police believe electrical problem may have locked him inside car

PORT ARTHUR, Texas -- A Port Arthur man took his last breath in what he considered to be his dream car. 72-year-old James Rogers and his dog Leia got trapped inside his 2007 Corvette Monday afternoon.

Police believe heat exhaustion eventually killed the two. Rogers' daughter Tricia Hernandez says her it's heartbreaking that his dream car ended up taking his life.

The freak accident happened in the parking lot of the Waffle House on Jimmy Johnson Boulevard in Port Arthur, where Rogers was a regular. M.J. Ponsegrau, another regular. was called to the scene by employees to try to get Rogers and his dog out.

But Ponsegrau says the two were already dead.

Mike Flash, owner of Corvette Specialties, told 12News that the 2007 Corvette has a manual release located on the floorboard by the driver's seat. But Rogers did not know that.Scissors-32x32.png

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QqQIwAGoVChMIqZWYks-FxgIVARGsCh3lPwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.khou.com%2Fstory%2Fnews%2Flocal%2Ftexas%2F2015%2F06%2F10%2Ftexas-man-dog-die-after-being-trapped-in-corvette%2F70999112%2F&ei=bW94VemqNIGisAXl_4CAAw&usg=AFQjCNF-kvFSQyLmhecQtwJkryuMiyQ1wA&bvm=bv.95039771,d.b2w

He could not call for help because he had left his phone inside Waffle House.

Smash The Window....Honk The Horn?

So sad. From what I read in the paper the horn wouldn't work. And I suppose it isn't very easy to break a car window without one of those special tools. The mystery to me is that Waffle Houses are pretty popular, and it's surprising he wasn't able to get someone's attention in the parking lot.