Execution Watch

Draggingtree

Donald Newbury Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 6:00 pm Execution ew_150204_180000.jpgWhile serving a 99-year sentence for robbery, he joined six fellow prisoners in escaping from the John B. Connally Unit near Kenedy, Texas, on December 13, 2000. He and other escapees were convicted of shooting to death an Irving police officer as they fled after robbing a store.

THE TEXAS SEVEN PRISON ESCAPE
(The Testimony of a Prison Break Witness)

texas_7.gif

A CONCRETE JUNGLE
I am a former TDCJ prison inmate who spent 9 years at the John B. Connally Unit in Kenedy, Texas. While doing time at Connally Unit I witnessed several violent assaults and a total of 2 of the dozens of prison murders at this "concrete jungle" of about 2500 inmates, most of them who were incarcerated for violent crimes. I was assigned to the the units 18 and 19 dorms, a place of prison trusties, mellow convicts and easy going Correctional Officers. It was also the home to Jorge Rivas, a convicted armed robber serving 16 consecutive life sentences.

TDCJ OFFENDER JORGE RIVAS

Jorge Rivas was from El Paso Texas, the same borderland city I was born and raised in. That was about all we had in common. He was a drifter who liked to pose as a Christian and I was a short-fuse who liked to exercise in the yard alone. Every now and then he'd stop by the weight bench where we'd reminisce about the lives we left behind in El Paso. He liked to boast about his days as a robber and told me he loved the smell of money. He also did mention that he could no longer take the pressures of prison and didn't want to die behind bars.

RIVAS’ ESCAPE PLAN Scissors-32x32.png

VIEW PHOTOS OF TEXAS SEVEN

Scissors-32x32.png

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.prisonoffenders.com%2Fprison_texas_seven.html&ei=rafPVMfKNMidyATFxICYBw&usg=AFQjCNGdG0k1428cTczLg2BH492xQ06z8g&bvm=bv.85076809,d.aWw