Sunni Deobandi-Shi‘i Sectarian Violence in Pakistan Explaining the Resurgence since 2007

Draggingtree

Sunni Deobandi-Shi‘i Sectarian Violence in Pakistan Explaining the Resurgence since 2007

Arif Rafiq DECEMBER 2014

IV. Introduction In both general and more informed discussions in Pakistan and beyond, sectarian violence in Pakistan between Sunni and Shi‘i groups is almost without exception referred to simply as Sunni-Shi‘i violence. But such a characterization is a misnomer. Two of Pakistan’s three major Sunni subsects, the Ahl-e-Hadis, and to a lesser extent, the Barelvis, may have antipathy toward the Shi‘a, but rarely express such sentiments through violent activity.

Instead, since the 1980s, it is segments of the Sunni Deobandi community and Ithna Ashari Shi‘a (or Twelvers) that have been at war with one another and have developed an infrastructure and discourse—aided by governmental forces in Pakistan, Iran, and Saudi Arabia—that is designed to combat the other side. Smaller Shi‘i sects, such as the Dawoodi Bohras and Imami Ismailis, have been victims of Sunni Deobandi violence, but have no significant involvement in militant activity. This report aims to explore the causes of the surge in sectarian violence between Sunni Deobandi and Shi‘i Muslims in Pakistan since 2007, identify the networks behind it, and offer solutions for rolling back the surging tide.

Much has been written on the history of conflict between Sunnis and Shi‘a in the Muslim world, as well as tensions between Sunni Deobandis and Shi‘a in South Asia both prior to and after the formation of Pakistan. Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.mei.edu/sites/default/files/publications/Arif%20Rafiq%20report.pdf

@Draggingtree

Thank You! Got this bookmarked. Deobandi ran across them 10-12 years ago, and IMP not much good comes out of that school of thought.

BTW Our Good Friend KSM Born Bred in Balochistan.and his cousin Ramzi Yousef.....Balochi(SP)