1989 Romanian Revolution begins

Valin

Wiki: Reverend Laszlo Tokes

(Snip)

December 1989

As 15 December approached, Tőkés’ parishioners began something of a vigil outside his flat, refusing two guards’ orders to move along. On 15 December, a human chain was formed around the block; the militia were unable to gain access. Tőkés thanked the crowd but advised them to leave, but several hundred stayed in groups close to the flat. His wife, Edit, who was pregnant at the time, fell ill. On 16 December, the family doctor appeared to see Edit. Within half an hour, the mayor of Timișoara appeared with three more doctors, hoping to persuade Edit to head to a hospital. On the advice of their family doctor, she refused.[12]

Shortly afterward, workmen arrived to repair the damaged windows and door to the flat; presumably the mayor was hoping to defuse matters, but the crowds actually grew, with some young Romanians joining the Hungarian parishioners. Tőkés spoke with the mayor and again urged the crowd to disperse. The crowd remained; the mayor stormed away, returned at noon, and promised that Tőkés would not be evicted. The crowd remained; some of them accused Tőkés of collaborating with the authorities and demanded a written retraction of Tőkés’ transfer and eviction. The mayor promised to produce this within an hour; if he intended actually to do so, it proved impossible on a Saturday.[13]

(Snip)

In Deletant's words, "The Hungarian protest had now become a Romanian revolt." Cries were raised, "Down with Ceauşescu!" "Down with the regime!" and "Down with Communism!" The crowd moved out from around Tőkés' flat and church, crossed a bridge, and headed for the city centre and Communist Party headquarters, where they threw stones before militia drove them back toward the church around 10 pm and the water cannons finally came into play. However, the crowd seized the cannons, broke them up, and threw the parts into the river Bega. A general spirit of roving riot ensued.[16]

(Snip)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Trial of Nicolae and Elena Ceaușescu

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The trial of Nicolae and Elena Ceaușescu was a summary trial held on 25 December 1989 by an Exceptional Military Tribunal, a drumhead court-martial created at the request of the Council of the National Salvation Front, resulting in the death sentence and execution of former RomanianStalinist ruler Nicolae Ceaușescu and his wife, Elena.

Widely considered a kangaroo court or show trial, the main charge was genocide — namely, murdering "over 60,000 people" during the revolution in Timișoara.[1] Other sources said the death toll is 689 or hundreds of people.[2][3][4] Nevertheless, the charges did not affect the trial, as the verdict had been already decided before the Tribunal had been created; General Victor Stănculescu had brought with him a specially selected team of paratroopers from a crack regiment, handpicked earlier in the morning to act as a firing squad. Before the legal proceedings began, Stănculescu had already selected the spot where the execution would take place - along one side of the wall in the barracks' square.[1]

Nicolae Ceaușescu refused to recognize the Tribunal, arguing its lack of constitutional basis and claiming that the revolutionary authorities were part of a Soviet plot.[1]

Arrest

On 22 December, during the Romanian Revolution, Nicolae and Elena Ceaușescu left the Central Committee by helicopter toward Snagov, from which they left soon after towards Pitești. Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_of_Nicolae_and_Elena_Ceau%C8%99escu

I wish I knew how Romania is doing now. They've had a rough go of it since '89 and they are almost never in the news these days.

From what little I've looked, they have a Neo-Nazi problem.

I wish I knew how Romania is doing now. They've had a rough go of it since '89 and they are almost never in the news these days.

From what little I've looked, they have a Neo-Nazi problem.

That's too bad. I'm sorry to hear it. Mr.n.and I had a wonderful trip there when he was still on active duty -- it was an official visit, so we were well cared for and they were so enthusiastic about joining the world as a democratic nation. I wish all those East Bloc countries could have taken a lesson from Poland or the Balts.