Coffee Shop

Rheo

SrWoodchuck

On Impeachment http://proteinwisdom.com/?p=54572

For those of you who follow me on Twitter, you may have noticed a lengthy exchange I had with John Sexton of Verum Serum and AG_Conservative after the latter quipped that the DNCC fundraising apparatus should send Sarah Palin a thank you note for being able to raise so much money off of impeachment talk. What I gleaned from the exchange that followed was this: there are those on the right who concern themselves primarily with what they call “strategy” — and in this case, view impeachment as a terrible strategy that could energize the Democrat base and foil a takeover of the Senate by the GOP (or, if you prefer, those who carry an R in front of their names, but who ran by courting Democrats and demonizing the constituency they now will claim to represent, making their affiliation more difficult to pinpoint) — and those who view impeachment not as some mechanistic act, but rather as a Constitutional imperative if in fact the case can be made that impeachable offensives have been committed.

That is, while impeachment itself as a numbers game cannot happen given Reid’s control of the Senate — and so is a futile “strategy” maneuver, when viewed in that light, one that may, in fact, energize the Democrat base if it’s promoted on principle alone — the argument can (and in my opinion should) be made that those who take an oath to uphold the Constitution should be prepared to use those remedies proffered by the Constitution; more, they are in fact obligated to use such remedies, if in fact they wish to maintain the integrity of separation of powers. (Sarah Palin called into Michael Medved’s show to make her case; while Medved argued as Medved normally does, up to and including a reminder that Obama is, in fact, the first black President).

Boehner’s lawsuit is, as I’ve argued, a punt. A distraction. A joke.

Scissors-32x32.png

The essential question is this: if the GOP believes that Obama is a lawless President who has committed the high crime or misdemeanor of exceeding, repeatedly and without fear of clear constitutional restraints, the proper function of the executive, and has appointed himself a second legislature, one that trumps the actual legislative bodies designed and implemented by the Constitution, then does it have an obligation to act on behalf of We, the People, whose sovereignty is being molested by the bypassing of elected representation? This is not a simple matter of mechanistic strategy. It is a matter of Constitutional principle and the fate of the separation of powers. So while it may not prove politically expedient to do what the Constitution calls for, does that mean that not doing so is savvy politics, or an abrogation of the responsibility doled out to elected representatives under our Constitutional structure?

Scissors-32x32.png

If we believe in the Constitution and wish to call ourselves conservatives, we simply must be willing to buck the popular wisdom — for instance, who cares what percentage of those polled are against impeachment? Have they had the case made to them why impeachment is being considered to begin with, and what the President’s overreach means to them as individuals going forward? — because the popular wisdom is almost always narrativized by the left and then reinforced by a timorous right who fears losing the “moderates” or undecideds.

Scissors-32x32.png

Instead of running from the case for impeachment, it is just as reasonable to outline the case and then say that, from a numbers perspective — and given the lockstep nature of the Dem Senate under Reid — there is no way that impeachment can happen. But that still shouldn’t prevent the American people from hearing just what it is the Dem-led Senate is willing to say is proper Executive behavior. The left sticks together; we eat our own. But not because our own deserve to be eaten. Rather, because those who are eaten are consumed to show deference to the left’s hold over popular opinion. You don’t change that by consistently capitulating to it. You change that by going around their presumptions to play permanent narrative gatekeeper.

All of which was just my long run-up to this interview with Andy McCarthy on the subject:

Transcript here: http://pjmedia.com/eddriscoll/2014/07/29/interview-andrew-mccarthy/2/

ProteinWisdom via DougRoss@Journal

The Week in Pictures: Snarknado Edition
Steven Hayward
August 2, 2014

The thought struck me watching the awesomely awful Sharknado 2 on Wednesday: Do we have the Obama presidency all wrong? Could this really be the Sharknado presidency—so awful it’s good? He’s certainly accomplished one of his objectives—diminishing U.S. influence in the world. Wonder if he’d like to have some of that back just now? More likely he thinks his Sharknado performance is Jaws 2. Anyway, we’ve got a heavy pop culture lineup today, with an extra helping of Trek & Star Wars mashups. Enjoy.

(Snip)

447x600xPutin-Sharknado-2-copy-447x600.j

(Snip)

482x307xObama-v-Netanyahu-copy.jpg.pages

506x312xKerry-Idiot-copy.jpg.pagespeed.i

(Snip)

545x355xImpeach-copy.jpg.pagespeed.ic.5p

580x374xGaza-v-Israel-copy-600x387.jpg.p

580x203xNy-Post-hed-copy-600x211.jpg.pag

Common Ground?

562x477xTea-Prty-Occupy-copy.jpg.pagespe

(Snip)

501x508xNature-Hike-copy.jpg.pagespeed.i

(Snip)

499x372xHippei-not-Hippo-copy.jpg.pagesp

(Snip)

580x434xBest-Buy-Droids-copy-600x449.jpg

580x401xHarrison-Ford-copy-600x415.jpg.p

‘I’d like to buy Falcon please. . . a Millennium Falcon. . .with all the extras.”

(Snip)

For our armed guys segment, I’m going to go with Browncoats as long as I can:

350x536xJayne-and-MAal-copy.jpg.pagespee

And finally (in honor of the IDF again):

530x532xIDF-Girls-3-copy.jpg.pagespeed.i

329x490xIDF-Hot-1-copy.jpg.pagespeed.ic.

pollyannaish

LBJ Buys Pants.

On August 9, 1964, at the height of a re-election campagin, President Lyndon Baines Johnson decided that he needed some new pants, so he got on the horn and called the Haggar Clothing Co. based in Dallas, Texas, and ordered himself up a new set. After a short interruption of another call, LBJ continues in his colorful, home-spun style and in vivid language to explain his need for special consideration of certain anatomical areas, and hilariously belches right in the middle.

DiogenesMiddleFinger via iOTW

I can't stop laughing--This is hilarious!!

• Like 2

This video is from the HBO series, The Network, Jeff Daniels plays the character Will McAvoy, a TV news anchor.

I don’t know which writer wrote this speech, but think it is interesting. I don't get HBO so I'm not familiar with the series, nor with its premise. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the show and this "speech." (Language warning.)

• Like 1

Very interesting. We don't get the show either and have not seen the show...but his dialogue, that is essential. it got them thinking.

This video is from the HBO series, The Network, Jeff Daniels plays the character Will McAvoy, a TV news anchor.

I don’t know which writer wrote this speech, but think it is interesting. I don't get HBO so I'm not familiar with the series, nor with its premise. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the show and this "speech." (Language warning.)

SrWoodchuck

Medal of Honor recipient Cavaiani of Columbia dies at 70 http://www.modbee.com/2014/08/01/3468322/medal-of-honor-recipient-cavaiani.html?sp=/99/1571/&ihp=1

lW5nt.AuSt.11.jpeg

Jon Cavaiani liked to make one thing very clear: He didn’t “win” the Medal of Honor.

“I was a recipient,” the Columbia resident and Vietnam War hero told The Modesto Bee’s Ron DeLacy in 2003.

Cavaiani died Tuesday at Stanford Medical Center. He would have been 71 today. Cavaiani was born in England on Aug. 2, 1943, and moved to the United States four years later.

Gaining U.S. citizenship in 1968, Cavaiani exuded a soldier’s toughness throughout his life. He joined the Army despite a 4-F classification (he was allergic to bee stings) by learning of a doctor who had falsified 4-F excuses for healthy men wanting to avoid military service. Cavaiani said he blackmailed the doctor into doing just the opposite for him, and in 1969 began training as a paratrooper and went into Special Forces training. Soon he was in Vietnam, and when his year’s tour of duty ended, he refused to come home.

That refusal set in motion the chain of events that led to Cavaiani’s Medal of Honor.

In June 1971, he led 80 South Vietnamese and American soldiers in the defense of a hill, outnumbered by the enemy and under heavy fire.

His citation read, “Sgt. Cavaiani, acting with complete disregard for his personal safety, repeatedly exposed himself to enemy fire while directing the platoon’s fire and rallying the platoon in its desperate fight for survival. Simultaneously, he returned heavy suppressive fire on the assaulting force. While helicopters rescued most of his men, Cavaiani destroyed equipment and ammunition to keep it out of enemy hands and ordered his charges to escape. He covered them by standing up, machine gun blazing as the enemy advanced.”

Seven of his soldiers nominated him for the Medal of Honor, figuring he’d get it posthumously, if at all. Instead, riddled with roughly 120 shrapnel wounds, a bullet in his back, another in his leg and burns in several places, Cavaiani played dead as the enemy rummaged through the area. When they left, he descended a cliff and began working his way back toward an American camp. He lived on insects for 10 days before North Vietnamese forces captured him.

Cavaiani spent nearly two years in prisoner of war camps, constantly being disciplined for tormenting his tormentors. He once attacked several of his captors with the loose end of his leg chains.

He came home in 1973. In 1974, President Gerald Ford presented him with the Medal of Honor. Cavaiani remained in the Army as a noncommissioned officer until he retired as a sergeant major in 1990.

Via Wirecutter

• Like 2

SrWoodchuck

Obumble Birthday Party,,,with Reggie Love.....he could have a "hole-in-one" this weekend!

Annual Obama Birthday Bacchanal Underway, With “Boys Weekend” With Reggie Love At Camp David http://weaselzippers.us/195246-annual-obama-birthday-bacchanal-underway-with-boys-weekend-at-camp-david/

Obama-with-Reggie-Love.jpg

The annual extended Obama birthday bash began this morning with a mass landing on the golf course at Joint Base Andrews, where twelve golfers are participating in a Saturday morning outing.

Actually I imagine the festivities began Friday, since everyone seems to already be in town. I noticed that right after his early Friday afternoon press conference Obama exited the West Wing, apparently knocking off work early. I imagine – though I can’t confirm – he was headed to the residence to begin welcoming his guests.

Among those known to be participating in this morning’s golf bonanza are former Obama aide Reggie Love, current White House aide and Obama golf favorite Marvin Nicholson, and timeless friends Greg More, Bobby Titcomb, and Mike Ramos. The assemblage arrived at Andrews at 8:35 am ET.

After golf, the party will move to Camp David, where Obama and his crew will spend the night. Unclear if more celebrants – and maybe some celebrities – are flying in.

Scissors-32x32.png

Via WeaselZippers

THANK GOD!!!

Under pressure from Romney insiders, “Draft Mitt” group cancels national launch

Good news for conservatives, terrible news for content-hungry bloggers who can’t resist trolling their readers with half-baked teases about Romney III. I mean, just look at this graphic from the “Draft Mitt” website. Catnip:

dm.jpg

And now, instead of taking that national, the organizer’s going to stand down. Damn, I say. Damn.

(Snip)

I did not sign his BD card, but I did see Mr G give him a sign yesterday;)

Would that be this one?

Nope, it was a little more of something he did with his handsohmy.png

I did not sign his BD card, but I did see Mr G give him a sign yesterday;)

Would that be this one?

Nope, it was a little more of something he did with his handsohmy.png

I can't imagine what it could be. dry.png

When will he give it a rest you ask?! NEVER!!!

Hey you think its easy being the greatest thing since sliced bread? You just try it!