Coffee Shop

Rheo

clearvision

Seattle mayor proposes tax hike to limit cuts to bus service

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, looking to push his left-leaning policies despite resistance from more conservative suburban residents, on Tuesday proposed a citywide vote on tax hikes to stave off cuts to bus services.

In a countywide vote last month for the same tax structure, Seattle voted overwhelmingly in favor but was outnumbered by a suburban and rural electorate that voted it down.

Murray's proposal, which includes a $60 annual car license fee and a 0.1 percent increase in the city's sales tax, is an alternative to a plan put forward last week by activists to restore funding through a hike in the property tax, a mechanism the mayor said he wants to preserve for a planned push to provide universal access to pre-kindergarten.

The effort marks the latest attempt by Murray to forge his own liberal way forward on policies ranging from a $15 hourly minimum wage to finding a new chief for his city's embattled police department.

As another city destroys itself.

Seattle Mayor Ed Murray, looking to push his left-leaning policies despite resistance from more conservative suburban residents, on Tuesday proposed a citywide vote on tax hikes to stave off cuts to bus services.

In a countywide vote last month for the same tax structure, Seattle voted overwhelmingly in favor but was outnumbered by a suburban and rural electorate that voted it down.

Murray's proposal, which includes a $60 annual car license fee and a 0.1 percent increase in the city's sales tax, is an alternative to a plan put forward last week by activists to restore funding through a hike in the property tax, a mechanism the mayor said he wants to preserve for a planned push to provide universal access to pre-kindergarten.

The effort marks the latest attempt by Murray to forge his own liberal way forward on policies ranging from a $15 hourly minimum wage to finding a new chief for his city's embattled police department.

Uh, last I checked Seattle was already down the tubes big time as of quite a few years ago. If I remember correctly, a very weird governor, Dixie Lee Ray, started this rolling stone . . . which has gathered only liberal moss/muck. We used to want to live in a condo on the Seattle waterfront when we retired. Wouldn't be caught dead doing that now. I will say, PORTLAND is worse!

• Like 1

Uh, last I checked Seattle was already down the tubes big time as of quite a few years ago. If I remember correctly, a very weird governor, Dixie Lee Ray, started this rolling stone . . . which has gathered only liberal moss/muck. We used to want to live in a condo on the Seattle waterfront when we retired. Wouldn't be caught dead doing that now. I will say, PORTLAND is worse!

Yes, I think it is.

• Like 1

SrWoodchuck

​I ACKNOWLEDGE MY MISTAKE: He's a very DEFENSIVE END

@SrWoodchuck You are very bad. It's time for your PC violation time out.

@NCTexan

I keep thinking......if there are about 2.5+% of gay "folk" [as our 'metro-sexual' pResident likes to say] that means that out of 100 people [i live on a long street-about 7 to 8 blocks long....and I don't think there are even 100 people living in all the houses on both sides]....2 of them.....2 out of 100...are gay, and one [1] guy is not sure.....maybe he's bisexual....or just likes to round out his dance card on Saturday night. So the whole neighborhood should not only accept them [which I think most of us do]....we must approve, adore & suggest that our children emulate them.

Via TheFeralIrishman

If i watch this, will it make me a hate filled ultra radical right wing Christian who wants to turn America in to a modern version of Nazi Germany? smile.png

ohmy.png HUGE MAJOR BREAKING NEWS!!!! ohmy.png

May 14, 2014

The Ocean Shield is returning to port after the Bluefin 21 was damaged during the search for Flight 370. Best case is that the Bluefin is fixed within 4 days but till then the search for Flight 370 has come to a halt.

Via TheFeralIrishman

If i watch this, will it make me a hate filled ultra radical right wing Christian who wants to turn America in to a modern version of Nazi Germany? smile.png

Nope. It will just make you decide to give up watching pro football.

Via TheFeralIrishman

between this and the flap over Sterling I'm about finished with professional sports

Via TheFeralIrishman

between this and the flap over Sterling I'm about finished with professional sports

I know just what you mean.

I agree with Dennis

Can We Get A Day Off Gay!

• Like 1

DO AS I SAY NOT AS I DO ALERT!

Liberal Hypocrisy on Equal Pay For Women Strikes Again
Katie Pavlich
May 15, 2014

Yesterday the New York Times announced Executive Editor Jill Abramson has been fired and is being replaced with NYT Managing Editor Dean Baquet. Abramson was the first woman to hold the top job at the NYT and was in the position for just under three years. For years the NYT has published op-ed after op-ed berating Americans for paying women less than men (a false argument), but it turns out Abramson was significantly underpaid compared to her male equivalents. More from the New Yorker:

(Snip)

Anyone who is in anyway surprised, please contact me quick. I have discovered a sure fire 100% guaranteed way to become really really rich from your own home.

SrWoodchuck

USDA [Meat Inspectors] Must Now Have Sub-Machine Guns: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=9fc3a01217d03b0354e1e18b69aa7bad&tab=core&_cview=0

original.jpg

These guns are needed for subduing illegal Amish Milk Farms

According to the solicitation, the Dept. of Agriculture wants the guns to have an "ambidextrous safety, semiautomatic or 2 round [bursts] trigger group, Tritium night sights front and rear, rails for attachment of flashlight (front under fore group) and scope (top rear), stock collapsible or folding," and a "30 rd. capacity" magazine.

They also want the submachine guns to have a "sling," be "lightweight," and have an "oversized trigger guard for gloved operation."

Via Breitbart: http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/05/14/Dept-Of-Agriculture-Orders-Submachine-Guns-With-30-Round-Magazines

• Like 1