State of the Union (Live?) Thread

clearvision

Thank you all for your commentary on the STFU SOTU....I was able to watch other things [ Men's Knitting Classic & Brine Shrimp Husbandry] and avoid mental & digestive reflux. Actually watched Justified....and it was ever so much better than the ego-maniacal spewing of the Metrosexual Emperor. Really, thanks. I was able to read your comments & get an idea of the depth of Democrappic depravity & denial ....from people I admire.

Ditto from me. Thanks for doing that, guys. I learned all I needed or wanted to know.

And the answer to the annual trivia contest about which Cabinet secretary will miss President Barack Obamas State of the Union address is: Ernest Moniz.

White House officials say Moniz, the energy secretary, will be held back from Obamas speech. The traditional move is aimed at preserving government continuity in case of a catastrophe at the Capitol.

I'm comforted.

So in this case: The Importance of Being Ernest.

For One Night, a Family-Friendly GOP

By Jonathan CoppageJanuary 29, 2014, 6:31 AM

While President Obama famous labored over all the drafts of his one State of the Union speech (and documented those labors), the opposition party apparently worked overtime to make sure that their response was thoroughly recorded, with no fewer than four broadcast or streamed statements given by House Republican Conference Chair Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.) in the official Republican response, Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen (R-Fla.) in the official Spanish-language Republican response, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) in the Tea Party Express response, and Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) speaking for himself.

Scissors-32x32.pngWhat is interesting about this all-Congressional slate of respondents is how neatly it cuts across the traditional divide of Beltway-establishment outside-the-Beltway-free thinking. Rand Paul and Mike Lee both were swept into the tradition-soaked Senate as Tea Party candidates in 2010, and Rodgers herself presented a somewhat new and more promising messaging than even the venerable outsider governors have been able to marshal in recent years. As I do not know a lick of Spanish, I regret that I have to refrain from comment on Rep. Ros-Lehtinen’s message.

Lee and Rodgers, when taken together, make for something of an interesting pairing. Most of the policy talk, or what passed for policy talk, in Rodgers’ address was regular Republican boilerplate. Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://www.theamericanconservative.com/for-one-night-a-family-friendly-gop/

The Federalist

11 Facts About The Minimum Wage That President Obama Forgot To Mention

Most minimum wage workers are under 25 and work in sales or food preparation.

During his annual State of the Union address before Congress, President Barack Obama made a big deal about the need to increase the federal minimum wage to $10.10 an hour. The move followed months of promises and rhetoric from the White House about how important it was to the economy to increase the minimum wage.

Back in August, the White House Twitter account even posted an infographic claiming that 15 million workers would “directly benefit” from a minimum wage increase and that “nobody who works full-time should live in poverty.” And in December, both the White House and the president’s labor secretary publicly expressed support for nationwide strikes by hourly workers demanding higher pay (because nothing says “I deserve a raise” like refusing to show up to work).

Unfortunately for the White House, many of its claims about the minimum wage are divorced from reality. Here are 11 facts about the minimum wage that Barack Obama forgot to mention during his State of the Union address.

1) Only 1 Percent Of The Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://thefederalist.com/2014/01/28/11-facts-about-the-minimum-wage-that-president-obama-forgot-to-mention-during-the-state-of-the-union/