Government Shutdown Thread

Valin

Shannon Bream ‏@ShannonBream 2m

Administration signals Pres will VETO any of the partial funding bills House is now debating: Vets' benefits, Nat'l Parks, DC operations

Alot of agencies are "shutting down" their websites. I could see not being able to add new content, but it takes about as much money to display their shutdown messages as it does their existing content.

They just want to show us how bad off we are without them.

Guess How Many Education Department Employees Are “Essential”

thinking.gifI'm thinking there might be room for a little staff trimming at the DoE.

OH NO! The Washington Zoo Panda Cam has been cut off. I'm sure the zoo's internet service has not been terminated, so don't see any fiscal reason to cut this off.... could there be another reason? And why is the zoo not self sustaining? It is very expensive to get into zoos.

It's all for show. Like closing the White House because of the sequester.

Cancelling Navy/AirForce Game? Are tickets free to those games? Seems like it would be cheaper to keep the game than cancel it and refund tickets...

Meanwhile.....

What shutdown? Obama's Asia trip still a go

Dave Boyer

October 1, 2013, 02:47PM

In spite of the government shutdown, President Obama’s trip to Asia this weekend is still on.

White House press secretary Jay Carney said there are no scheduling changes planned for Mr. Obama’s trip, which will take him to Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei and the Philippines from Oct. 6 to Oct. 12.

(Snip)

Flying time on Air Force One costs taxpayers about $180,000 per hour, in addition to staff costs, transporting vehicles overseas and other expenses. Mr. Obama’s weeklong trip to Africa this summer cost taxpayers at least $60 million, according to estimates.

Alot of agencies are "shutting down" their websites. I could see not being able to add new content, but it takes about as much money to display their shutdown messages as it does their existing content.

thinking.gifI'm thinking there might be room for a little staff trimming at the DoE.

Were you public school educated? Essential is a nuanced term meaning different things in different contexts. Those that are non-essential for budget freeze are not the same as those who are non-essential for the survival of our great education system.

Were you public school educated? Essential is a nuanced term meaning different things in different contexts. Those that are non-essential for budget freeze are not the same as those who are non-essential for the survival of our great education system.

St. John the Evangelist grade school Duluth Cathedral High School.

OH NO! The Washington Zoo Panda Cam has been cut off. I'm sure the zoo's internet service has not been terminated, so don't see any fiscal reason to cut this off.... could there be another reason? And why is the zoo not self sustaining? It is very expensive to get into zoos.

Cancelling Navy/AirForce Game? Are tickets free to those games? Seems like it would be cheaper to keep the game than cancel it and refund tickets...

Is that true? The tickets are definitely not free.

WWII Vets Knock Over Shutdown Barrier to Visit Memorial http://freebeacon.com/wwii-vets-knock-over-shutdown-barrier-to-visit-wwii-memorial/

BVgJvJxCEAMSQ2X-540x405.jpeg

Photo by Leo Shane III

Leo Shane III @LeoShane

Credit where due -- I watched Rep Steve King distract a park police officer while vets and staffers knocked down the fences here. #shutdown

10:00 AM - 1 Oct 2013

WashingtonFreeBeacon via Wirecutter

More Here

• Like 1

Colorado Oblundercare website crashed......and the "navigator's" had nothing to do.....so they are writing a new Shakespeare play:

original.jpg

• Like 1

pollyannaish

Mr. P officially received his layoff notice today. We are fortunate because we have until next Monday. This also means he will receive benefits the through the end of the month. If for some reason this extends further than one week, he will be eligible for unemployment. However, there won't be anyone in the office to help him with that. Hahahaha!

If this goes beyond the end of the month, we loose our families healthcare.

So. I'm praying for a very successful and positive resolution. It will all depend on the polls.

Yep. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/10/01/naval-academy-air-force-army-government-shutdown/2901611/

I guess the budget for the players gets cut wink.png

Dems in House vote down funding for Veterans, Dist. of Columbia, Holocaust Memorial and Smithsonian

William A. Jacobson

October 1, 2013 at 7:56pm

Under the Rules of Suspension they were operating under (not sure why, but its what it was), a 2/3 vote was needed in the House to pass legislation funding various agencies. [if someone has a procedural explanation, please post in comments.]

Democrats in the House voted against funding the Veterans Administration, the District of Columbia and National Parks, including the Holocaust Memorial Museum and Smithsonian.

Chad Pergram

House defeats plan to fund Veterans programs 264-164. Needed 2/3 to pass. So with 428 yeas, needed 286. #fnpolitics

6:47 PM - 1 Oct 2013

Rep. Steve Stockman

Democrats on a rampage. Voted to deny DC their own tax revenues, even with DC's Democrat delegate pleading for passage.

6:58 PM - 1 Oct 2013

Mr. P officially received his layoff notice today. We are fortunate because we have until next Monday. This also means he will receive benefits the through the end of the month. If for some reason this extends further than one week, he will be eligible for unemployment. However, there won't be anyone in the office to help him with that. Hahahaha!

So. I'm praying for a very successful and positive resolution. It will all depend on the polls.

I'm sorry for your family in this mess, but at the same time in a broader context, most government employees are too isolated from the impact of the economy (I know you personally are not) and still demand higher salaries, benefits, etc. with what except for this type of circumstance is guaranteed employment. At some point government jobs will be reduced. Valin has a saying about what can't be sustained won't.

Yep. http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/10/01/naval-academy-air-force-army-government-shutdown/2901611/

If that happens they will reschedule. All civilian instructors (300) couldn't teach, lots of places are closed at the AFA including the chapel. It's nuts.

If that happens they will reschedule. All civilian instructors (300) couldn't teach, lots of places are closed at the AFA including the chapel. It's nuts.

Not to be rude. But if the Military academies require federal money to run their football programs, then they should go. I don't think is the case though. I suspect it is anything to increase the pain.

Not to be rude. But if the Military academies require federal money to run their football programs, then they should go. I don't think is the case though. I suspect it is anything to increase the pain.

The only thing the Fed. gov. provides to the football program is a military aircraft, if the game is a long distance away. If the program has enough money they might charter an airplane.

The only thing the Fed. gov. provides to the football program is a military aircraft, if the game is a long distance away. If the program has enough money they might charter an airplane.

Thet have, or would get immediate non-federal support for whatever limited real federal money is involved.

pollyannaish

I'm sorry for your family in this mess, but at the same time in a broader context, most government employees are too isolated from the impact of the economy (I know you personally are not) and still demand higher salaries, benefits, etc. with what except for this type of circumstance is guaranteed employment. At some point government jobs will be reduced. Valin has a saying about what can't be sustained won't.

You are exactly right. We are hoping that this achieves the goals that are set out. If we go weeks and they cave we will be upset. If the achieve something at least the personal sacrifice will be for a cause.

I will say that after six years of losses for us, if this goes too long it will take us down. It is just the reality of the situation. And then, in our early fifties, we will begin again and hope we have enough time and energy to overcome it.

It makes me exhausted. But then I already am. It's been a very difficult six years. Good news: I'm at peace and it is in God's hands.

• Like 2

And we know that we are certainly not the only ones! Just one of the many!

I have included you & your family in the Book of Petitions at 7:30AM Mass on Sundays. You are in our daily prayers. too.

I did hear that the few single CR's the House had met & drawn up.....will be rejected out-of-hand by Reid....according to his statement. Also....the Senate bill for Veterans failed in the House....due to needing a 2/3 majority. It's hardball.

Unfortunately for all, I believe this is all just a game to the congress-critters in charge. Clear going into this there would be no capitulation on O'care.

pollyannaish

And we know that we are certainly not the only ones! Just one of the many!

I have included you & your family in the Book of Petitions at 7:30AM Mass on Sundays. You are in our daily prayers. too.

I did hear that the few single CR's the House had met & drawn up.....will be rejected out-of-hand by Reid....according to his statement. Also....the Senate bill for Veterans failed in the House....due to needing a 2/3 majority. It's hardball.

Thank you SrWoodchuck! And you in ours. I am truly convinced that God Is our strength and our refuge!

And I mention our case mostly because

I think we must continue to have sympathy on a personal level, and be tough as nails on the policy and principle level.

We are not the only conservatives

Or decent people on government work by far. We are certainly less vocal and more productive than the union goons in government work though! :)

• Like 2

Inside Obamacare Navigator Headquarters Central......a valiant struggle is going on to provide the undocumented, demented & uninsurable.....not with health care.....no.....with health care insurance.

It's only a tax.....a tax......a tax.....a tax......attacks on our Republic!

If you are squeamish.....or under 26 & living in Momma's basement.....you may want to look away:

Clip via WeaselZippers

WhiteHousePressCorps ‏@whpresscorps 1h
RT @stephenfhayes Nat'l Park Service tells Toledo #HonorFlight Vets they'll be "arrested" if they visit WWII Memorial http://bit.ly/15HMy9P

I am.......................speechless..

From the article: Armstrong says, "I said, are you kidding me? You're going to arrest a 90/91-year-old veteran from seeing his memorial? If it wasn't for them it wouldn't be there. She said, 'That's correct sir.'"